PDA

View Full Version : need help with laptop

JRDtechnet
02-17-2008, 07:19 PM
I'm diagnosing a bad laptop. Upon plugging in the AC adapter the LED that indicates that its plugged into the wall flickers for a split second and goes out. I took apart the laptop and tested the power plug its fine. I tested continuity and voltage from the power pin to random components on the motherboard and there is power flowing through the board. Still won't start up at all, not even fans. Any ideas?

generalj
02-18-2008, 07:58 AM
Try taking the battery out and using only the AC, and then vice versa, try only the battery. If you are getting light that seems like a good indication that the powersupply is not bad which means a whole new mother board :/ Also I had a similar problem and it was caused by a short. I replaced a motherboard and put the laptop back together and it would come on then just die at random oints then it would just do what you explained. It happened to be a screw on the underside that I used one that was too long for the place I put it and somehow was causing a short. \

Might also check that the fans are good, not clogged up and the bearings are good. Also make sure they are connected right to the its power source.

Also check that the cpu is seated right, the fan is on heat sink, thermal paste etc.

cis4smack
02-20-2008, 06:37 AM
I had a smilar problem. When the AC adapter was plugged in it would flicker and then go off and then the laptop would shut off. I had to replace the power connector and now it works fine.