PDA

View Full Version : Outlook Web Access and Spam

MrMille
02-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Guys, I have an onsite tomorrow morning.

The client has a problem with his wireless, which I can easily fix.

The second problem is that he's getting a lot of spam, whats the best way to fix this spam problem? any free solutions?

Thanks! sorry about the short notice!

generalj
02-16-2008, 02:11 AM
hehehe, spam. First thing is if you are getting a lot of spam its probably the users fault and might not be able to be easily alleviated. I say this is because if a user sends his email out to all kinds of sites and signing up for things they tend to get his email out to all kinds of ppl. Then you get the spam and you follow the link at the bottom to "unsubscribe" from the list and boom all that did was tell then that the email is actually a valid email so it gets sent to 100 other spammers.

The only way is to block the spam in your filters but if you are getting a lot of spam this may be nearly impossible and a lot of work to do.

There are services you can sign up that when ever someone sends you an email it asks them for verification first before that service will forward the email to your box. Say You had this service and I sent you an email. It would send me an email back asking me a question verifying I can send to you. The question can be as simple as your first name. So I type in your first name it says ok and forwards the original to you. You then can tell it to allow emails from me all the time. Spam is one of the hardest and trickiest things in the information world today to stop or limit. I know big corporations spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on their network with special spam firewall to prevent them but like I said they literally spend hundreds of thousands of dollars for that.

The best thing I think you can do is train the user on not giving his email to all sorts of places and when he gets emails not to reply or try to unsubscribe from them if they are not a well know email address. Even if it is a well known email it may be spam acting like another email. Its tricky to tell and most users cant tell what is what, there are the obvious spam but there is a lot of unobvious ones too that only a really trained eye will see.

I think if its not to many try setting him up some filters to block them.

Bryce W
02-16-2008, 03:02 AM
Free Solution that works pretty well: http://www.spamfighter.com/

Or, you could get them to use Thunderbird and tell them about "training it" to identify spam.

Or, you tell them that some ISP's have a spam filter which they can turn on on their end.

In any case, as generalj said, they need to be educated about email use being careful who they give it to.

MrMille
02-16-2008, 11:34 AM
The thing is, he gets it from a corporate mail server, so ideally, as Bryce has pointed out, a anti spam client like spamfighter is probably the way to go.

I've used it before and thought it was a little slow, but maybe that was a result of the machine it was running on. I also didn't realise you could use spam fighter with OWA.

[edit] just had a look around, and to use spam fighter with OWA, I'd have to go to the exchange server location which he and I wouldn't have access to, to install the SPAMfighter Exchange Module

What I'd really like is a client based spam solution.

seedubya
02-16-2008, 08:20 PM
MrMille, OWA is simply a web interface to his Exchange email account. NO client-side anti-spam will help. He either needs to connect to his exchange server using Outlook so that you can install client-side filtering or just go with server-side filtering. Is this one of those "Hosted Exchange Solutions"?

MrMille
02-16-2008, 09:14 PM
IIRC the client runs his business from home, but piggy backs on a friends Exchange server. Not certain I'll be granted access to install any anti spam functions on their corporate server (nor do I want to)

seedubya
02-17-2008, 12:15 AM
Ok. Then any chance he can vpn into the corporate server and use full Outlook as a client? You can then install the spam filter of your choice. I'd recommend Spam Assassin.

hawks5999
02-18-2008, 05:46 AM
another good free client side filter (if it helps) is SpamBayes (http://spambayes.sourceforge.net/). I used this for several months and found it to be very effective at catching spam. Another option is to setup Google Apps to use gmail for his domain (or his friends). The spam filtering on gmail is pretty robust in my experience.

Blues
02-18-2008, 05:04 PM
If the company has it set up it could possibly download a security certificate and use Outllok 2003 or 2007 with RPC over HTTP. This is if they have that setup on the exchange system.