PDA

View Full Version : New to Me: XP can't load Lite-On CD/DVD drivers

Checkmate
02-15-2008, 01:48 AM
Hey all, wondering if someone could point me in a direction to find universal type drivers. I've just over phone supported a customer install of new CD/DVD rom upgrade (OEM so no driver disc sent). Now Win XP states driver hasn't been installed. Had customer set the device from CS to Master, used the top ribbon connection and still have the invalid driver. I've looked all over the net for a Lite-On DH-20A4P SuperAllwrite driver and have had no luck finding anything. So if any of you wonderful techies could help would be greatly appreciated.

Blues
02-15-2008, 01:31 PM
I don't think I have installed a CD-ROM, DVD-ROM, CD-R/W, or DVD+/-R/W driver since Windows 95 when CD-R/Ws first came out. Im not even sure then but it was a retail model and installed Roxio Easy CD Creator with it so that may have had it. I think when I have bougth OEM drives all but one had a software CD with it and that one was a DVD-ROM the rest were burners.

Edit: Just a side note I have never bought anything but Lite-On drives and none have given me issue except one and it was after 3 PSUs and 5 years.

tartis
02-15-2008, 02:23 PM
You should not need a driver if you are using Windows XP or Vista. CD drivers are already built into the OS. The CD is only to load buring software and other utilities. If it does not work with Windows, I would look at either a bad drive, virus/spyware, or a corrupt Windows install.

thecoldone06
02-15-2008, 02:29 PM
You could try uninstalling the device through device manager or add/remove hardware and then reboot. When Windows comes back up it should re-recognize the drive as new hardware and hopefully find the driver. If not, search around for the model on google and see if you can't find the drive on lite-on's website.

Checkmate
02-15-2008, 03:05 PM
Good advice all, and most of that I have done. Honestly never had an issue with XP not loading a optical device. But after having customer change jumper settings, ribbons, changing which port they connect it to on the motherboard, and no, usually I do not talk someone through installing or opening their case, but this was a call from ID, and they said they were comfortable doing it. :). So I have come to the conclusion that I received a faulty drive. Have requested EU send me the drive back (My bill) and will test it on my rig here. Any other suggestions?

cis4smack
02-20-2008, 05:50 AM
That's weird. The only problem I've ever encountered was a dvd burner I purchased that wouldn't burn dvds. After a firmware upgrade I was good to go. But yeah, that's odd maybe something is wrong with the drive itself.

generalj
02-20-2008, 06:06 AM
also dont rule out the cable itself.

Checkmate
02-24-2008, 02:45 AM
Well interestingly enough, was able to remote in to this machine, prior to de-install and checked it out a little deeper. There were filters in the registry that were not being corrected with the new CD/DVD install. Was able to fix it with this (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314060)

seedubya
02-24-2008, 02:42 PM
As a matter of interest did this system have iTunes installed? There is a documented bug in some versions of iTunes that causes changes in certain registry entries thus rendering optical drives invisible in Windows. Something to do with upper and lower filters IIRC.

Checkmate
02-25-2008, 12:10 AM
@seedubya Good call. Yes it did have iTunes installed. Never would of thought about that. But it was both upper and lower filters that needed corrected. Will have to look up info on that issue. Thanks for the pointer.

ServingOnlineSeniors
02-25-2008, 01:07 AM
Watch this in setting up new Vistas! Been having to remove upper and lower filters after doing windows upadates and losing DVD drive.