PDA

View Full Version : 1-TB Samsung disk drive $60 total - limited time

sys-eng
08-04-2010, 07:10 PM
Here is a reliable quick disk drive for $60 and free shipping. These have been the best drives of this size that I have bought yet.

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822152185

angry_geek
08-04-2010, 07:15 PM
Nice find. Unfortunately, I still have a bad taste in my mouth from Samsung drives from a few years ago.

kagman
08-04-2010, 07:59 PM
I saw the email in my inbox about that sale. I have several of those drives already and so far they have worked out really nice. This is the first time I am passing on this deal since I have no need for it.

But its killing me not buying it just because its 1tb and at a good price lol....

08-04-2010, 08:05 PM
Just bought two. We were actually saying that we needed two more TB drives yesterday.

sys-eng
08-04-2010, 09:44 PM
Nice find. Unfortunately, I still have a bad taste in my mouth from Samsung drives from a few years ago.

I "was" a big Seagate fan but I have heard so many complaints about them in the last 12 months, I am not buying more of them. Perhaps, Samsung has inproved their quality while Seagate has not. This drive really stands out in the user reviews on Newegg.

angry_geek
08-04-2010, 10:13 PM
I "was" a big Seagate fan but I have heard so many complaints about them in the last 12 months, I am not buying more of them. Perhaps, Samsung has inproved their quality while Seagate has not. This drive really stands out in the user reviews on Newegg.

I just may have to give them another shot. I'll compare them to my WD's.

AlphaCS
08-06-2010, 02:14 PM
These drives are it. I prefer these over my blacks anyday.

PcTek9
08-13-2010, 03:02 AM
This is no reflection on you sys-eng, but i do not like samsung products.
The drives i have seen fail time and time agian were samsung and seagate.

You may well imagine the bad taste this left in my mouth.
I just don't believe their quality has improved that much, and it's difficult to trust quality for $60.00 to hold a terabyte of data.

I will pass on this.

sys-eng
10-01-2010, 06:16 PM
This is no reflection on you sys-eng, but i do not like samsung products.
The drives i have seen fail time and time agian were samsung and seagate.

You may well imagine the bad taste this left in my mouth.
I just don't believe their quality has improved that much, and it's difficult to trust quality for $60.00 to hold a terabyte of data.

I will pass on this.

Hey, no offense taken. I find that ALL of these drive makers let their quality go down until it hurts sales revenue. While Samsung may have had problems in the past, the user reviews on sites such as Newegg over the last year have been better than WD, Seagate, and Hitachi. WD has had to cut the coost of their "Black" series because they are not proving to be any more reliable than other drives. Tests I have seen indicate that the 32-MB WD drives are slower than many other drives that have 8 or 16-MB of memory buffers.

I agree about the price. Sometimes they over-produce a line of drives because a PC manufacture backed out of an order and now the drive maker has extra inventory to unload. ALL of these drives are very cheap though. When I was an engineer at BellSouth, the low-priced enterprise drives were still several thousand $$ for less than 500-GB. I do beleive that the best policy is to buy 2 of these cheap drives and mirror them. Now 2 of these mirrored for $120 is a real deal.