PDA

View Full Version : A bad Monitor broke Video Card?

mastrog
02-14-2008, 03:02 AM
Specs: HP 1940 LCD/ Video Card: Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 - with dual screen dongle.

I've been troubleshooting a problem with a bad monitor.
I swapped it with a good one, and it worked fine.
I then wanted to make sure that it was the monitor, and plugged it into another machine with the above Video Card and it wouldn't work, nothing would on the screen. Unplugged it and tried it again, and the screen then came on but with a kind of 'greenish' colour, or lack of colour white...ie: white things appear blueish...
So I decided the monitor was definately faulty.

I got a brand new replacement monitor from HP today, tried it, and its the same colour as above!...
I tried it on anothe machine, and colours come up ok.

Could the bad monitor damaged the video card? As the video card was working correctly up until I tested the bad monitor?

Fred_G
02-14-2008, 03:38 AM
Have you tried a new cable from the PC to the monitor?

E

mastrog
02-14-2008, 03:44 AM
Thanks for the reply.
Yes I have tried a different cable also.

efreak
03-11-2008, 09:37 PM
Yeah, i've got this problem too
I don't know what video card it is; i suspect its the onboard video; I'm on a computer at school at the monitor flickers red whhere there's certain colors. I don't know about white -- all I know is that my black-background irc client has flickering red pixels all over the background, and the red desktop background seems to shimmer.

Its running (i think) Fedora Core Enterprise 6, and the monitor is an HP 1940. Please tell me if you've heard of a fix. My email is my username 2004@gmail.

This is the only place I've found on the web that discusses this problem, and I can't look at the back of the computer; its too heavy to lift (it may be tied down), and I don't know how to find out what kind of video card it has..

Problem fixed; it wont allow me to post the url, but solution below
Your navigation history:
Step Question Your answer
1 Which type of monitor do you have? Flat Panel TFT Monitor
2 What type of problem do you have with your TFT Monitor? Missing or incorrect colors on display image
3 Did securing the video cable connection correct the problem? No
4 Is the problem described as a pink hue on images with white or gray background? Yes

The default flat panel monitor color temperature is 6500k. This color temperature will have a slight pink hue instead of a pure white. Using the monitor OSD, change the color temperature setting to 9300k or customer color.

mastrog
03-12-2008, 04:14 AM
The problem was the dongle I was using from the card to one of the monitors!