PDA

View Full Version : About to launch! - Advise?

BAD311
02-12-2008, 08:59 PM
We are about to launch a new computer business in town. We'll be working out of our home, and providing residential and small business services related to computer systems, networking, web design, and much more.

I'm a 7 year veteran of web design and graphics, and my girlfriend (the "Vice-President") is a 10 year veteran of working for Microsoft in Redmond, Washington. Her experience in networking will (I believe) carry us far. My experience in web design and graphics will also carry us far, I hope. Only problem I have is, will people want to hire us compared to Best Buy's Geek Squad or Circuit City's Fire Dog? Our county already has 4-5 other pc repair businesses, but they specialize in computer repair, custom built computers, etc...

Our business model is pc repair, networking, web design, and graphics, and pretty much all things computer. My website versus the competition is probably 100x better, does this mean customers will think we cost more and go with the company with the crapped out website?

We'll be going to the 2,500 businesses in my country, and the 40,000 homes around here with flyers, business cards, brochures, leaflets, custom vinyl for our company on 2 vehicles, and partnering up with 3 companies in town who already provide our community with printer cartridges, shipping services, and tv repair services. I'm currently working out a partnership with the ink cartridge place where I give residential and other small businesses the ink cartridge companies brochure/business card with every visit I make to their location, and in return the ink cartridge place has a brochure stand, business cards, and a 3'x2' poster in their front entry way.

Between my web design, graphics, and knowledge of repairing, building, and loving to be around computers, and my girlfriends love for computers and networking, and her available sources of "help" - perhaps this will be a success and work out OK even with 4-5 other people already doing this?

Any advice, tips, etc... ?

Bryce W
02-13-2008, 12:50 AM
Sounds like you've got it all worked out. I recommend that you really push your "one stop computer shop" image. I really believe that will give you a bit of an edge over the Geeksquads who just fix computers. People are lazy and like things to be convenient. If you can sell yourself on being convenient by doing everything computer related. I think you'll do well.

My only other advice is 'just launch'. You sound like you've put alot of thought into this already (which is more than many businesses do). You dont want to suffer from paralysis by analysis (http://www.technibble.com/paralysis-by-analysis/).