PDA

View Full Version : these new spam accounts..

Cadishead Computers
08-01-2010, 02:56 PM
just a thought, but with the sudden influx of either spam accounts, or end users, i know when activating a new account, you need to verify it by clicking on a link from a email.. but is it at all possible, when new accounts are created, that email accounts, should be from a repair company, ie abc@pcrepair.com rather than say .gmail, yahoo, hotmail etc.

And if any accounts are from the above 'free mail', then the account is not created?

I could be barking completely up the wrong tree here, and I know that hitting the report button, does alert the mods, but i was thinking this could be a different way of stopping the spam..

Martyn
08-01-2010, 05:35 PM
If admin look at all the details of the newly created account I'm sure there will a common factor they can be banned on. Maybe same email domain, same ip range?

Daifne
08-01-2010, 05:55 PM
Unless they are using a proxy where the IP and range changes every time and/or they are using free email services...

I moderate another large forum and we see proxies all the time. There is also a service that makes the IP address anonymous making it impossible to ban the shown IP. Very annoying.

Corbin
08-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Just report any spam or enduser let the admins here deal with it. Easy as pie!

Xander
08-01-2010, 06:27 PM
Since I don't mod, I don't know how impossible these might be:

1) hotmail/gmail/yahoo accounts get their first 10 posts mod-approved before they go live?
2) 5 reports and the thread goes to a hidden forum automatically for review? Or the post (if in the middle of someone else's thread)

Martyn
08-01-2010, 06:37 PM
Since I don't mod, I don't know how impossible these might be:

1) hotmail/gmail/yahoo accounts get their first 10 posts mod-approved before they go live?
2) 5 reports and the thread goes to a hidden forum automatically for review? Or the post (if in the middle of someone else's thread)

I think some of this can be done but it is labour intensive. From what I see there aren't many mods, maybe two mods and that is not enough when you also look at the time zones being used. I have ran several forums in the past so am willing to mod if they need any. I would say you need at least 5 moderators.

Corbin
08-01-2010, 06:42 PM
If I remember the plugin that bryce has when you report any post it pops up in the admin only board and they review it, but the being approved may get a bit tricky that's a lot of people signingup and posting.

Now if we had more mods with lockdown abilitys like approving people I'm sure it would work, but the thing with more mods and admins one will get a sour taste and jack everything up.

Best way is to keep it easy and simple and just flag the post.

Cadishead Computers
08-01-2010, 06:54 PM
If I remember the plugin that bryce has when you report any post it pops up in the admin only board and they review it, but the being approved may get a bit tricky that's a lot of people signingup and posting.

Now if we had more mods with lockdown abilitys like approving people I'm sure it would work, but the thing with more mods and admins one will get a sour taste and jack everything up.

Best way is to keep it easy and simple and just flag the post.

the plugin idea is good, I have to admit. But as has been mentioned, with the differing time zones, these spam attacks, could be on for hours. A mod may not be available for a number of hours to remove the post, and or ban the account.

Which is why I came up with the idea, of not being able to use a free email account.

Like I mentioned, I'm not sure if this is even possible or not. Just an idea..

Bryce W
08-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Banning free IP addresses wouldnt be effective. While I could ban hotmail/gmail/yahoo, someone could just use a service like 10minutemail.com
I do need to bring in another mod though which I am looking into.