PDA

View Full Version : Webhosting

Leztek
02-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Just a quick question...

How much do you guys charge for webhosting?

Thanks

cmonova
02-12-2008, 05:46 PM
I am not too concerned with web hosting revenue myself. I look at it like if I am going to do web hosting it is more than likely because I am doing a website for someone. In that case I price it accordingly and include the hosting in the package for the first year. Then after that I may charge like $75-$100 a year. I only pay like $36 a year.

Plus, you will generally get paid to update the site thru the year or referrals from the site or even better computer work out of the deal for their business.

So I would not put alot of effort or thought into pricing the web hosting itself, but look at the bigger picture.

Bryce W
02-13-2008, 02:01 AM
$16.95 for my most basic package. Im not interested in competing with $3.95 webhosts.
Most of my clients dont know how much webhosting costs and I really sell myself on service. I guess its also convenient for them that I look after their computers and their websites.

Leztek
02-13-2008, 03:35 AM
Good deal...

I am charging 14.95... so I am in the ballpark...

I have to agree, most of them do not want to be worried about uploading and changing files.

Do you charge your normal rates for web maintenance or design?

Thanks guys...

Nathan H
02-13-2008, 10:31 AM
A bit of a side issue here but still slightly related!

How does web hosting work?

do you store there websites on you PC??

or do you storit on a dedicated Server in some remote climate controlled building that you simply pay for?

I'm interested in setting up this service as it sounds like it could be a great addition to the services I already Provide, but honestly, I know nothing about it other than I pay my provider for the hosting each month.

Please help!!!:o

Simmy
02-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Alot of hosting companies provide reseller solutions, so you pay them £xx / month and you can host upto x number of websites from your account. Or alternatively, as you say, you can rent a dedicated server if you want to have complete control over it.

this (http://www.unitedhosting.co.uk/resellers.php) site is just one example of a reseller. Their prices look pretty good aswell :)

If you charge £10/month to each client and host 30 websites, that's £277 profit/month (based on the £23/month package in the link above). That's very tempting actually!

Bryce W
02-14-2008, 03:59 PM
A bit of a side issue here but still slightly related!

How does web hosting work?

do you store there websites on you PC??

or do you storit on a dedicated Server in some remote climate controlled building that you simply pay for?

I'm interested in setting up this service as it sounds like it could be a great addition to the services I already Provide, but honestly, I know nothing about it other than I pay my provider for the hosting each month.

Please help!!!:o

This might help you out Nathan
http://www.technibble.com/how-to-become-a-web-host/

Leztek
02-15-2008, 06:35 PM
Bryce...

How much space do you provide in your base package?

Do you do an email only hosting? Can this be done through hostgator too.....

Thanks