PDA

View Full Version : Connected but cant browse or ping?

nonchalant
02-10-2008, 01:19 AM
This is a customers PC that has got me kinda stumped atm. She has 2 laptops and recently connected to Bigpond. The modem gives PPP, line sync and can connect to either laptop via wireless or ethernet. I can log in to the modem and everything looks good. But she cant browse the 'net. And she cant ping.

Ive checked both laptops and neither is running a firewall. Her AV doesnt block ping requests. If I run the test from within the modem everything comes up good except ping DNS. A ping from CMD prompt just times out.

Bigpond apparently set up the modem a couple of months ago but the setup only worked via ethernet. Now it doesnt work at all. They sent the customer a new modem which I connected yesterday but thats worse! All it does when I switch it on is power on, ethernet and DSL light comes on then it powercycles in a loop. Cant even get to login to it. Ive tried a reset.

The customer had a back to base alarm system installed recently but this was after the broadband was setup. It looks like that may have a splitter installed and doesnt seem to be the problem as I get line sync ok and the modem shows the expected up/down sync speed.

Im about to format one of these laptops (for another reason) but I expect I'll have the same problem when I take it back.

Any ideas?

Bryce W
02-10-2008, 07:31 AM
Ive seen similar myself. The problem was that I couldnt authenticate on the ISP's end (my end was fine, including my username and password).

The modem was connected and had line sync. I could ping the computers and the computers could log into the web admin. I had all the modem lights switched on because it had power, line sync and was connected via the ethernet... I just wasnt authenticating on their end.

Perhaps give the ISP a call to check everything on their end?

Edit: Oh, keep in mind that Bigpond often needs special login applications before you can use the internet. Sometimes the modem as an option to choose Bigpond as an ISP. If it doesnt you need the client software on the PC which you can get here (http://bigpond.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/bigpond.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=12847&display=content).

nonchalant
02-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Thing is I am getting PPP on the modem and logging into the modem I can see its connected.

Im still thinking its an ISP problem though.

Thanks for the link to the cable software however this is DSL.

Im going to collect the customers modem tomorrow before I return the laptop and test them both at home on my line with my ISP to eliminate a hardware issue.

Nathan H
02-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Interesting article guys.

But what is Bigpond?

(Other than the obvious, A large hole filled with water)

I assume its an ISP down Under,but just in case I'm wrong can you please enlighten me.

nonchalant
02-10-2008, 03:27 PM
But what is Bigpond?

(Other than the obvious, A large hole filled with water)

I assume its an ISP down Under,but just in case I'm wrong can you please enlighten me.

Ah, Im glad you asked. bigpond aka bigpuddle is our once govt owned major telco that is trapped in the stone age when it comes to technology. They are only just now catching up with adsl2 (not yet available through bigpuddle though its been available through other ISP's for some time here). And even then ADSL2 speeds of up to 20 mbit will be available NOT the 24 mbit as offered by other ISP's (it seems bigpuddle are hellbent on mediocrity).

Poor customer service and an as poor internet service is what they are renowned for.

jamesbhp
02-10-2008, 03:35 PM
This is a dsl modem / router, or is the modem connected to a router?

nonchalant
02-10-2008, 03:37 PM
DSL modem router. I should know the brand and model but I dont. might be a speedstream or netcomm. I'll post the info here once I collect the modem later today.

Its this one here (has the bigpond logo on it but the actual brand and model should be underneath) http://promo.bigpond.com/homenetwork/flash_new.php

and here http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Telstra-2Wire-2701HGV-W-Wireless-ADSL-ADSL-Modem-Router_W0QQitemZ110221968118QQihZ001QQcategoryZ370 6QQcmdZViewItem
(http://promo.bigpond.com/homenetwork/flash_new.php)

lazzo71
02-14-2008, 07:55 AM
Hey nonchalant, I am with bigpond and had a similar problem when I connected it. I found that there was a disconnected phone line in the house under the carpet that I wasn't aware of. I hooked a filter onto it, even though it didn't have a phone on it, and bigpond started to work. If you are running out of options, try this.

nonchalant
02-14-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks for the response lazzo71 :) but I got it working.

Not sure what the problem was at the end of the day but I ended up calling bigpond support from the customers home, after a modem I brought with me wouldnt even connect, and during the course of the discussion it became apparent the user was authenticated via the old modem as newdsluser@bigpond (though I had run the wizard with her details on at least 2 occassions a few days prior). This is something to be aware of troubleshooting modem problems for bigpond customers as the modem shows PPP however we werent authenticated with her details which probably explains why we couldnt go anywhere! Ive certainly never come across it before.

Anyway, once this became apparent I factory reset the modem again, keyed in her details and we were up and running.

She still had a problem with her laptop wireless though losing the connection to the modem which was only a few metres away. I ended up spending another hour on that before trying another USB adapter she had handy. Seems the two (2) Netgear card adapters she had have an issue with her modem (though they were both sent to her by bigpond with their modem). Plugged in the USB adapter (netgear also) and she maintained a good signal the other side of the house. Go figure.

Bryce W
02-14-2008, 02:56 PM
Thats what I said :P

Ive seen similar myself. The problem was that I couldnt authenticate on the ISP's end (my end was fine, including my username and password).

The modem was connected and had line sync. I could ping the computers and the computers could log into the web admin. I had all the modem lights switched on because it had power, line sync and was connected via the ethernet... I just wasnt authenticating on their end.

Perhaps give the ISP a call to check everything on their end?
You can connect, have line sync but not authenticate.