PDA

View Full Version : Registry Tweaks

Nathan H
02-07-2008, 02:06 PM
www*kellys-korner-xp*com (swap the "*" for a ".")

I found this site, its full of various reg tweaks, 1 or two are quite useful.

if any programmers are reading this is there anyway of getting rid if the pop up asking to to go to here site?

03-07-2008, 04:41 AM
if any programmers are reading this is there anyway of getting rid if the pop up asking to to go to here site?

What type of pop up are you seeing and where? I'm not clear on what you're asking.

Nathan H
03-07-2008, 10:24 AM
It looks similar to a standard pop up box:

the script is VBS:

Here it is:

Option Explicit
Set ws = WScript.CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
Dim ws, t, p1, p2, n, cn, mybox, vbdefaultbutton
Dim itemtype
p1 = "HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main\"
n = ws.RegRead(p1 & "Window Title")
t = "Change Provided By or Whole Title for IE"
cn = InputBox("Type New Caption and click OK", t, n)
If cn <> "" Then
ws.RegWrite p1 & "Window Title", cn
End If
VisitKelly's Korner
Sub VisitKelly's Korner
If MsgBox("This script came from the Tweaks Section of Kelly's Korner" & vbCRLF & vbCRLF & "Would you like to visit Kelly's Web Site now?", vbQuestion + vbYesNo + vbDefaultButton, "Visit Kelly's Korner") =6 Then
ws.Run "http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm (http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm)"
End If
End Sub

I thought if I deleted the red text that should work;
A guy on another forum suggested editing the red text portion to direct it back to my site, but that's not what I want, only I will use the script and see it, further more, Kelly wrote the original script not me and I believe in giving credit where it's due (Sounds a bit hypocritical since I want to get rid of her ad.)

03-07-2008, 03:21 PM
Yeah, you're exactly right. Deleting the red portion will get rid of the pop-up.

The script is flawed, though because it depends on the "Window Title" string to already exist in the registry. If IE's title bar isn't already changed, it won't be there.

If you also take out line 6 "n = ws.RegRead(p1 & "Window Title")" the script will work even if IE's title has never been changed. You just don't get the current title bar field to pop up in the text box.

cl6869
04-26-2008, 07:20 PM
[QUOTE=Nathan H;8762]www*kellys-korner-xp*com (swap the "*" for a ".")

I found this site, its full of various reg tweaks, 1 or two are quite useful.

:)Thanks for the tip Nathan, I found a lot of useful info there, thanks for sharing.

Char

Nathan H
04-26-2008, 08:30 PM
Anytime Char