PDA

View Full Version : Compaq Presario 2100 Notebook BIOS Help

darren1270
02-07-2008, 11:58 AM
I have a friend from work that inherited a notebook from a relative. When she tried to boot the system for the first time it came up asking for a password. Since the relative is no longer living she can't ask. I've searched google for a solution for this issue but all I keep coming back to is that she has to call HP with proof of ownership to resolve this issue. Before she has to pay for an over priced solution, I was hoping that someone here would have a solution. I thought of pulling the cmos battery but from what I've read that password is on some sort of security chip on the MOBO. Not too sure about that. I usually don't work on laptops.... if I can avoid it...LOL :p. Thanks in advance.

Darren

Nathan H
02-07-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm not 100% sure on this but it's worth a try.

1) open the laptop case.
2) locate the CMOS battery (Looks similar to a large flat watch Battery)
3) Remove the CMOS battery (& ensure the laptop battery is removed and the power cable is disconnected.
4) Wait 2 hours the replace the battery.
5) the password should now be removed, this is because the CMOS battery provides power to the laptop remember the bios password and the date & Time etc....

Hope this helps.

If it does please click the scales icon at the top and leave some reputation......

Bryce W
02-07-2008, 12:31 PM
Do what Nathan H said. This should help a little:
http://www.technibble.com/how-to-bypass-or-remove-a-bios-password/