PDA

View Full Version : Mentioning Competitor's Names in Ads?

Vicenarian
07-21-2010, 04:11 PM
I'm planning to do an ad, where I will be comparing the rates of the big computer stores in my area (Best Buy, Staples, Future Shop), with my own rates. I was just wondering, is it ok to mention their company names in my ad, or do I have to add some sort of disclaimer like, "Trademarks belong to their respective owners" or something like that? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

btw I'm in Canada if it makes in difference.

Vicenarian
07-21-2010, 08:03 PM
Any input on this?

Thedog
07-21-2010, 08:27 PM
I have no clue on the legal side but I say for any SERVICE business its bad to advertise your price versus someone else... It says nothing, a bad tech might take 5 cheap hours to do something a good tech takes one expensive to do. Also think about the kind of clients you might attract with such ads.

iptech
07-21-2010, 08:54 PM
It looks a bit desperate and it's poor etiquette in any case.

vdub12
07-21-2010, 09:22 PM
I think its a bad idea to.

I have many company's around me that charge less then me but they also offer a lesser service. I think the best form of advertising does not mention your competition. As far as I am concerned I have no competition, thats the way you need to design your ads. Tell the potential customer what you do and why they should call. Maybe even include an intensive to call like a coupon. By mentioning your competitors you are just advertising for them giving them brand recognition. You know what they say there no such thing as bad advertising.

kats22
07-21-2010, 09:55 PM
No need to compare to other companies in your area. Just inform customers of what your services cost, and why they should come to you.

As stated already, it's all about what you do well, not what others charge to perform the same service.

coalescent
07-21-2010, 09:56 PM
Yep, don't compete on cost.

Therefore, don't advertise against competitors using cost comparisons.

Therefore....don't throw names around in your ads.

Xander
07-22-2010, 12:55 AM
If you reaalllyyy want to make a comparison, try something like "your average Big Box store".

When someone asks my rates on the phone, I tell them, "My rate is $60 and hour including HST. Just so you know, the average on-site rate is $85 or more and the guys with the wrapped cars start off with a charge of $100 for just showing up. I don't play those games".

Vicenarian
07-22-2010, 01:19 AM
If you reaalllyyy want to make a comparison, try something like "your average Big Box store".

When someone asks my rates on the phone, I tell them, "My rate is $60 and hour including HST. Just so you know, the average on-site rate is $85 or more and the guys with the wrapped cars start off with a charge of $100 for just showing up. I don't play those games".

I like this idea. Thanks, I just might try that. :)

Xander
07-22-2010, 01:30 AM
Whereabouts are you based, Vice? $45 does seem pretty low but if you're off in the backwoods somewhere....

sedigital
07-22-2010, 05:35 PM
I agree with not competing on price alone.

I saw a sign in a local pizza place that's known for having one of the best pizza's in town (and they charge fully for it). It said something along the lines of "We use only the finest quality ingredients to make the best pizza's around. As for our competitors, they know what their product is worth". It's a bit blunt, but true in that industry, and I often use that line when comparing hardware prices.

Vicenarian
07-22-2010, 06:22 PM
Whereabouts are you based, Vice? $45 does seem pretty low but if you're off in the backwoods somewhere....

Calgary AB

Xander
07-22-2010, 08:17 PM
After a quick google, for Calgary, $45 doesn't seem crazy low. Who'da guessed?

Vicenarian
07-22-2010, 09:34 PM
After a quick google, for Calgary, $45 doesn't seem crazy low. Who'da guessed?

Funny hey, and we are supposed to be the oil capital of Canada.

Alan22
07-23-2010, 03:40 AM
In my opinion, do not mention competitors by name in your advertising. Use the space to promote your business, not their's. I wouldn't even use the term Big Box store because it will conjure up images of the Best Buy's of the world.

Companies spend millions each year to build their brand and they like to get their name & logo in front of people every chance they can get. I think by mentioning your competitors you are just reinforcing their brands in your potential customer's eyes.

For example, ABC company compares themselves to 123 company and XYZ company. I'm a potential customer, see the ad by ABC and think to myself "I'm going to check out 123 and XYZ. They must be good if ABC is comparing themselves to them."

donte10
07-23-2010, 03:54 AM
In my opinion it's not necessarily going to do you any good to mention the others. You might get those who are worried about price more than the quality of service, but then again who wants those types of clients.

Your better off including in your advertising the 'benefits' to the customer and those things that make you better.

bagellad
07-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Just put like "BIG MULTINATIONAL COMPANY" or something. Why give them free advertising.

cdbrehm
07-24-2010, 02:43 AM
I don't think mentioning "Geek Squad" gives them any boost in advertising whatsoever since you'd practically have had to be living in a closet not to already know who they are. Everybody already knows who the Geek Squad is. The fact is many people search on Google for local computer repair shops precisely because they don't want to pay the outrageous prices for bad service typical of Geek Squad, or any other Big Box, not because they don't know about them.

I think it's in very poor taste to compare your rates to another local competitor's. The Big Boxes are another story.

I agree that your first marketing line shouldn't be about your rates. I've come to understand that only recently and am making changes. At least in America, as far as I understand, there is no issue comparing your product or service to another competitor's, so long as you're "accurate." It's a time honored practice here, for the better or worse. Not so in Germany, I believe.

cdbrehm
07-24-2010, 02:45 AM
By the way, do not mention another company by name in any Google Adword's campaign. They will remove your ad.