PDA

View Full Version : Job for a Charity

RKDus
02-06-2008, 02:24 PM
I got my first call today, I am going out to a drug awareness project tomorrow. They have 9 computers, two need virus removal and the rest just need antivirus software installed. My question is should I give them a discount because they are a charity? The regular price I had decided on was 30 callout charge and 30 per half hour after that. Also do they need to pay VAT etc.? Maybe some of the Irish guys on the forum can answer that.

Simmy
02-06-2008, 02:55 PM
Interesting question - I guess you would still charge them VAT (I'm assuming you are VAT registered) and then it would be up to them to claim it all back.

As for a discount, I would probably charge them at my usual rate. You're not a charity and you have bills to pay. Does that make me a stinjy git? Possibly :p As long as you do the job properly and provide a friendly service I'm sure they won't care.

I would be interested to see what other people say about this.

Nathan H
02-06-2008, 03:40 PM
I would agree with simmy,i would charge my regular price, unless the Charity agreed to endorse you in some way, such as allowing you to place an ad in their shop window etc... then i would consider a discount.

One thing i do different is for charity work i do not mark up on parts.

and Simmy I don't think this makes you stingy, after all your in business to make money. they want your service they should pay for it.....

cmonova
02-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Not sure if a Charity there is the same as a non-profit. That might matter a bit. I have a non-profit here I do a maintenance contract with. I gave them a good deal the first year cause i'm thinking the whole "non-profit" thing. But, then I talked to someone who said "ya, they pay me to consult them on their website, sort of like a coach"...I could not beleive it. Went into the Director and told them about it and that I would no longer give them a discount. Plus, the contract was up for renewal anyway. She ended up signing up another year.

But, if it's "true" charity and nobody but nobody is getting paid I would probably help them out at a discounted rate.

Leztek
02-06-2008, 05:19 PM
I'll put a little spin on this...

I am offering a discounted rate? Why, I believe it is tax deductable here in the states... regular rate - discounted ratev= donation amount. It looks good in the eyes of the community. I am sure they would not have an issue giving a special thanks to Leztek if I provide them with good service and a discount.

The other thing I am thinking of offering is free web hosting to them. If I am paying 25.00 to host an unlimited amount of sites and they are going to pay me to manage them. Here again... I sure the wouldn't mind a little banner on there thanking Leztek plus it's tax deductiable.

Like I said... just my spin on it...

seedubya
02-06-2008, 11:12 PM
RKDus
There's nothing wrong with your rates as they stand afaik. Where in the country are you? Dublin rates are obviously much higher than the rest of the country with the average being around 125/hour but even here locally in Carlow the average is now around 90, which I'm rising to shortly. As far as being a charity is concerned don't give them a discount. If you still feel like donating after they've paid you then go ahead. They do have to pay VAT. We always quote our prices inc. VAT to our VAT unregistered customers i.e. doctors, insurance brokers, charities, schools etc. Basically, if they don't sell something that is VAT-able then they cannot reclaim VAT and YOU are legally obliged to quote them including VAT. Always ask them if they're registered.

RKDus
02-14-2008, 11:47 AM
Yes I'm in Dublin, seedubya. In the end I gave them a discount because they had a lot of computers that needed work, and they said that they would use me in their other branches if the price was right, so I made sure I put everything on the invoice where they could see exactly what they were getting. I need to build customers anyway so everyone was happy. Thanks for the input everybody.