PDA

View Full Version : Baffled by this: XP reboots on desktop tried everything

Andyuk2007
02-02-2008, 04:31 PM
Hi, I had a customer's pc that had trojan horse viruses on i was able to remove them and i thought everything was fine, i then rebooted the computer and now the computer loads to desktop and after 2 minutes it reboots again and again. it works fine in safemode but i am unable to diagnose the problem.

Things i tried

Disabled all services (it still rebooted even with everything disabled)

ran chkdsk /r

I did think of just reformatting it but i wanted to see if there was a less drastic solution to this.

I'm going back there on tuesday so i need solutions to try and sort this problem out.

Bryce W
02-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Is it rebooting or BSODing with Automatic reboot switched on?

Right click on "My Computer" and goto "Properties". Then the Advanced Tab and under Startup and Recovery, press Settings. Be sure to untick "Automatically Restart".

If it was BSODing and automatically rebooting. You'll see the error message now.

If it doesnt come up with a BSOD message and still reboots. Turn off the Windows Updates service (Start > Run, and type "services.msc" and turn off "Automatic Updates"). I have seen computers restart when the automatic updates process kicks in which is about 2 minutes into Windows. If thats happening, the system is downloading an update the system isnt happy with so just dont download it.

Andyuk2007
02-02-2008, 04:40 PM
Is it rebooting or BSODing with Automatic reboot switched on?

Right click on "My Computer" and goto "Properties". Then the Advanced Tab and under Startup and Recovery, press Settings. Be sure to untick "Automatically Restart".

If it was BSODing and automatically rebooting. You'll see the error message now.

If it doesnt come up with a BSOD message and still reboots. Turn off the Windows Updates service (Start > Run, and type "services.msc" and turn off "Automatic Updates"). I have seen computers restart when the automatic updates process kicks in which is about 2 minutes into Windows. If thats happening, the system is downloading an update the system isnt happy with so just dont download it.

"Automatically Restart" was turned already turned off, also the router was turned off so it could not download any updates to the computer. also its not giving a BSOD at all it just reboots, I'm baffled by it.

do you think the trojans did damage thats not being detected ?

Simmy
02-02-2008, 05:20 PM
Have you disabled all startup entries aswell as services? Check eventvwr from safemode for any clues.

It wouldn't hurt to run memtest aswell :)

EDIT - also disable any screensavers and power settings.

Andyuk2007
02-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Have you disabled all startup entries aswell as services? Check eventvwr from safemode for any clues.

It wouldn't hurt to run memtest aswell :)

EDIT - also disable any screensavers and power settings.

yeah mate they were all disabled, it works fine in safemode so it wouldnt be a memory issue but will run that when i return on tuesday. if that dont work shall i just format the bugger ?

Simmy
02-02-2008, 05:30 PM
I wouldn't rule out a memory fault because bad memory can do some crazy things :p you're right though, it is unlikely.

idiot_savant
02-05-2008, 07:05 AM
also check out your PSU, sometimes it was the least part you suspect of doing something bad on your PC

Andyuk2007
02-05-2008, 10:45 AM
This problem has now been sorted i ended up formatting it as it worked fine in safe mode and in normal mode with all services disabled i then tried to enable then 1 by 1 (only 4 showed up). sometimes the best solution to a problem is a format but i only do that as a very last resort as i consider it a failure :(

but i was able to put all there documents back on e.t.c so they were just happy it was working normally again

generalj
02-05-2008, 09:17 PM
Ya, it sounds like a service was faulty or something, probably corrupted one. Best to reformat in this case anyways, After a trojan who knows what else in the system can be messed up.

Andyuk2007
02-05-2008, 10:05 PM
Ya, it sounds like a service was faulty or something, probably corrupted one. Best to reformat in this case anyways, After a trojan who knows what else in the system can be messed up.

yeah i think some other files were messed up that no scanners couldn't detect but all aswell that ends well :)