PDA

View Full Version : Who carries a vacuum?

Justin
02-02-2008, 02:59 PM
All the machines I work on at home pay a visit to the shop-vac in the garage before they come in the house. I also have a hippo (can't post a url yet) at my day job. Does anyone carry a vacuum on-site? Any recommendations on something small, powerful, light, cheap and quiet? Not very demanding am I?

Nathan H
02-02-2008, 04:39 PM
I tend to use a can of compressed air, as there is a small chance of causeing a static shock to your clients PC, i know some of the systems i work on cost 1000's so i dont fance damaging them with a hoover also i think it looks more professional on site, if I pull out a can of Compressed Air (I think its called Air Duster) rather than a hoover.

Justin
02-02-2008, 08:48 PM
I tend to use a can of compressed air, as there is a small chance of causeing a static shock to your clients PC, i know some of the systems i work on cost 1000's so i dont fance damaging them with a hoover also i think it looks more professional on site, if I pull out a can of Compressed Air (I think its called Air Duster) rather than a hoover.

I like compressed air for small stuff, but when I usually see a computer for the first time it has been neglected for a long while. Not to mention if you are working on a laser with toner spilled inside. You certainly don't want to spread that around in a room.

Nathan H
02-02-2008, 10:49 PM
Didn't think of that side of it, for some reason i had the blinkers on and only thought about a desktop PC....

Checkmate
02-25-2008, 01:03 AM
When going onsite to a client, I take one of the Dirt Devil detailers, model #:mcv2000. It's a micro vac, for detail work, works great for keyboards and interior case cleaning, use canned air to blow the board, but for fans and vents, I use this little guy. And @ $19.99us it's a cheap rechargable vac

OfficeITPlus
02-25-2008, 01:32 PM
Not to mention if you are working on a laser with toner spilled inside. You certainly don't want to spread that around in a room.

I was always advised not use a standard vacuum cleaner for toner spills. The reason was that the toner is very fine carbon powder and therefore is conductive. The result can be a big bang from the vac. You can buy special vacs but I suspect it is not cost effective for the number of spills we come across. I use a slightly damp cloth.

Favre04
03-03-2008, 03:26 AM
In my car I have a $12 portable vac I picked up at Home Depot that has a reverse function.

I use the vac to blow out (not suck) case interiors. When doing this make sure to put a pencil or something between any of the fan blades you are cleaning to prevent over spinning any of the fans and burning out any bearings.

IcedFalcon
03-04-2008, 04:24 AM
I have yet to find a vac that I like. A few years ago I found dusters that work off of CO2 cartridges for paint ball markers I love paint ball and I can order the cartridges in bulk through a local supplier.

generalj
03-04-2008, 09:10 AM
Well, I have always used an air compressor here in my garage for my pc's. At jobs ?I have held at companies in an IT position we used compressed air. I agree that compressed air can be a rather dangerous way of doing it. The air sometimes comes out as liquid which as you al know is a bad thing.

I have thought about a little vacuum but I have never found one that seemed to be portable and have enough "ughmmf" to suck up those nasty dusties out of some of those machines that you have all seen that are really caked.

If anyone knows a really good vacuum like please share.
And yes always keep the fan from spinning when blowing air into it. They can wear out and then its another purchase and fix.