PDA

View Full Version : Anyone take CompTIA A+

Trigger_this
07-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Network or Security?

If you have anyone know the cheapest way of doing it. 336$ seems outrageous for testing me on stuff I already know. (Just want the certification)

07-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Get a job where the company will pay for it. I don't know of any exam vouchers that are just handed out, without having some kind of affiliation or membership to a professional group already. You're basically stuck paying the price they ask for the cert.

Other than that, I guess you could google image search and photoshop yourself one. ;)

Trigger_this
07-10-2010, 06:18 PM
Lol I could of already done that -.^...

PDG Technologies
07-10-2010, 11:03 PM
It's on my list of things to do.
Taking the Security+ next week.

TLE
07-10-2010, 11:08 PM
Network or Security?

If you have anyone know the cheapest way of doing it. 336$ seems outrageous for testing me on stuff I already know. (Just want the certification)

Have a search round on the internet and sit the free CompTia A+ tests online, then just go and sit the exams. To be honest its mainly common sense and basic knowledge. If your an experienced tech you shouldn't have any problems.

TLE

Eddie
07-11-2010, 12:05 AM
It's on my list of things to do.
Taking the Security+ next week.

Let me know how that goes, it's the next certificate I'll be doing.

almightybunghole
07-11-2010, 12:58 AM
I have A+, Net+, and Sec+.
It's not a huge difference in price but I always get vouchers from a third party, the total for A+ being $300 or so:
http://www.itexamvouchers.com/comcerex.html

Getting a good book is enough. I used Mike Meyer's books for Net+ and A+, and Darril Gibson's for Security+, that was a good one.

Good luck (Reread confusing questions 10 times, CompTIA SUCKS at routing out subjectivity and unclear wording).

Noghri
07-11-2010, 05:38 AM
I would assume you were aware of this, but in case you weren't - get em quick. Those certs after Jan 1st of next year will need to be renewed every 3 years.

weezon
07-11-2010, 03:14 PM
go with Network plus first.

SThompson86
07-11-2010, 03:49 PM
I finish up my A+ Wednesday, and I am currently studying for Net+

SThompson86
07-11-2010, 03:50 PM
http://www.itexamvouchers.com/comcerex.html

I did not know they had sites like that. Thanks

Trigger_this
07-12-2010, 12:50 AM
Have a search round on the internet and sit the free CompTia A+ tests online, then just go and sit the exams. To be honest its mainly common sense and basic knowledge. If your an experienced tech you shouldn't have any problems.

TLE

The ability to pass the test was never in question... The prices of them were...

"go and sit the exams" is this a free way you never actually read my question?

So, suck it up and spend 300$ for a cert :P gotchya thank you everyone.

SThompson86
07-12-2010, 01:03 AM
If anybody wants some A+ practice exams I have a lot for the new 701-702 exams. Shoot me a PM

minc3d
07-12-2010, 07:22 PM
I am studying for Sec+ right now to beat the Jan 1 2011 deadline for loss of lifetime status.

Excellent book if you want to study for the exam, it's supposedly the best according to the folks at the Techexams.net forums:

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Security-Certified-Ahead-SY0-201/dp/1439236364

Super large print and easy to read.

Yes, these certs are worth it not only for your personal resume but they can be used as marketing for your company... think about it, the majority of the geek squaders and related techies have no such certs. It's easy to compare them to you in the way doctors use their educational experience to gain and retain clients.

minc3d
07-12-2010, 07:36 PM
For cheap vouchers ALWAYS check ebay. The sellers are honest and Ive used them before without issue. These people generally get them at educational discount and rarely upsell them for much more.

Here are a few live ones going on still:

http://cgi.ebay.com/A-Voucher-CompTIA-Expires-7-31-10-/150464915566?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item230868686e

http://cgi.ebay.com/PROMETRIC-COMPTIA-A-100-PREPAID-VOUCHER-CODE-/180506895599?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2a070ca4ef

Much cheaper than what you were discussing early in the thread.

Just search "a+ voucher" on ebay and check the sellers reputation before buying .... anything 98% and up with at least 100 feedbacks submitted is fairly safe.

dbdawn
07-12-2010, 09:29 PM
I am studying for Sec+ right now to beat the Jan 1 2011 deadline for loss of lifetime status.

Excellent book if you want to study for the exam, it's supposedly the best according to the folks at the Techexams.net forums:

http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Security-Certified-Ahead-SY0-201/dp/1439236364

Super large print and easy to read.

.....snip

I will second this. "CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide" by Darril Gibson was one of the easiest and most helpful books I have read when I was studying for my security+ exam.

almightybunghole
07-13-2010, 01:53 AM
I will second this. "CompTIA Security+: Get Certified Get Ahead: SY0-201 Study Guide" by Darril Gibson was one of the easiest and most helpful books I have read when I was studying for my security+ exam.
Triple that one. There's a reason it's got a million 5 stars.

I read it in its entirety the day before my test and passed :cool:

PDG Technologies
07-13-2010, 05:21 AM
Triple that one. There's a reason it's got a million 5 stars.

I read it in its entirety the day before my test and passed :cool:

Currently reading this in it's Kindle form before I take my test Wednesday. I read the Sybex book and it was like reading a manual. This is a much easier read.

Noghri
07-13-2010, 01:59 PM
Some great info in this thread so far, anyone have a good recommendation for a Network+ study guide? For the cost of the tests I want to be sure I'll pass them the first time.

I've got the A+ All-In-One exam guide already and am very happy with it and will probably get the recommended Security+ guide from this thread.

SThompson86
07-14-2010, 04:02 PM
As of about an hour ago I am now A+ certified!

Martyn
07-14-2010, 04:06 PM
Why is that, does it expire after a period of time?

07-14-2010, 04:46 PM
As of about an hour ago I am not A+ certified!

Now or not? Hopefully it was a typo and you passed. If not, study harder.

ATTech
07-14-2010, 05:34 PM
As of about an hour ago I am not A+ certified!

What do you mean, like they revoked your A+ certification? Hardcore...

Vicenarian
07-14-2010, 05:38 PM
I think he meant "now" A+ certified, hence the exclamation point.

almightybunghole
07-14-2010, 07:19 PM
Some great info in this thread so far, anyone have a good recommendation for a Network+ study guide? For the cost of the tests I want to be sure I'll pass them the first time.

I've got the A+ All-In-One exam guide already and am very happy with it and will probably get the recommended Security+ guide from this thread.
http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Network-All-Guide-Fourth/dp/0071614877/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279131518&sr=1-1

ATTech
07-14-2010, 07:40 PM
I think he meant "now" A+ certified, hence the exclamation point.

The exclamation point doesn't clarify anything. This post, however, does:

I finish up my A+ Wednesday, and I am currently studying for Net+

SThompson86
07-14-2010, 08:59 PM
lol ok I see I made a typo. yes I ment "now" not "not" lol wow..

rainmaker2112
07-15-2010, 01:36 AM
Just completed my A+ 2009 quite easily. I have 20 years of computer experience, but figured I should add this for marketing purposes.

Two huge helps:

1. Mike Myers 2009 online training

2. Comptia Quick Reference Guide (see this link http://www.amazon.com/CompTIA-Reference-220-701-220-702-ebook/dp/B002R0JXCW

Between the two of them virtually everything was covered.

Elemdee
07-15-2010, 01:39 AM
As of about an hour ago I am now A+ certified!

Congratulations!!! :):):)

colonydata
07-15-2010, 02:24 AM
I took it last year, it seemed extremely easy to me.

SThompson86
07-15-2010, 05:00 PM
does anybody know how long it takes CompTIA to send out the offical Cert? I am ready to frame mine.. :o

bsd13
07-15-2010, 05:30 PM
I'm amazed that anyone aside from a people with less than 6 months working on computers still go for their A+.

SThompson86
07-15-2010, 05:40 PM
My employer wanted me to have it.

dbdawn
07-15-2010, 05:42 PM
I'm amazed that anyone aside from a people with less than 6 months working on computers still go for their A+.

I was told that if I got my A+ I would be hired (my current full time job). Thats was like 1.5 years ago. If it wasn't a stupid requirement for my job then I would not have taken the test.
Half the stuff on the test was outdated and ridiculous, nothing to do with basic computer repairs.

bsd13
07-15-2010, 05:48 PM
My employer wanted me to have it.

Yeah, I guess I should be more amazed that employers want people to have it. I talked to a hiring manager at a company we're doing some interim tech support while they go through a hiring process and they won't consider hiring any full time without an A+. In fact aside from being human and generally competent that is their core requirement. The owner of the company is stuck back 10 years ago in time.

bsd13
07-15-2010, 05:51 PM
I was told that if I got my A+ I would be hired (my current full time job). Thats was like 1.5 years ago. If it wasn't a stupid requirement for my job then I would not have taken the test.
Half the stuff on the test was outdated and ridiculous, nothing to do with basic computer repairs.

That's exactly why I've always refused to take it. I took a college course back in 2003 that was supposed to get you ready for the A+. After about 1 class and 1 lab I figured out they were teaching technology from the late 80s to mid 90s. Had I been smart I would have dropped the class altogether and saved my money but I kept hoping it would somehow become relevant.

minc3d
07-15-2010, 08:07 PM
Ive been doing work with CompTIA on the last revision and the current 2010 revision of the A+ exam and trust me, we are doing our best to get the tests up to date. Our last conference on the 2010 revision was back in February and I can say all old tech was in best faith removed from the exam.

Please realize that creating such a global exam needs to take into account not just the USA but the entire world. While the USA, UK, and Asia may be up to date, there are many parts of the globe that are a bit further behind. This is the primary reason you see some outdated tech on there.

But the process used to make the exam is done by professionals just like myself and many of you guys,gals on here. So let's not give CompTIA too much of a bad rap.

bsd13
07-15-2010, 08:12 PM
Ive been doing work with CompTIA on the last revision and the current 2010 revision of the A+ exam and trust me, we are doing our best to get the tests up to date. Our last conference on the 2010 revision was back in February and I can say all old tech was in best faith removed from the exam.

Please realize that creating such a global exam needs to take into account not just the USA but the entire world. While the USA, UK, and Asia may be up to date, there are many parts of the globe that are a bit further behind. This is the primary reason you see some outdated tech on there.

But the process used to make the exam is done by professionals just like myself and many of you guys,gals on here. So let's not give CompTIA too much of a bad rap.

I have a bad opinion of it because I've not seen it relevant to anyone's day to day existence in the tech field EXCEPT as an entry level stepping stone. MCITP/ MCSE, RHCE, Cisco certs - I see the relevance in all of those for anyone regardless of their background in tech but I just don't see it for the A+.

Hopefully you and whomever else is working on it will rectify that situation and make it relevant to the world today.

Trigger_this
07-15-2010, 09:01 PM

Just like everyone else is saying, some people including customers want "professionals" to have certifications...

I do have another question for you guys then, how is the Security+? I'm thinking of taking that one not just for the cert but to hopefully learn more unless it's like the A+...

minc3d
07-15-2010, 09:26 PM
Im self teaching for the Sec+ right now and its very relevant to the current day security standards. Its not tied to any one vendor and a very portable cert to have especially if you are in networking or IT security.

Trigger_this
07-15-2010, 09:31 PM
You talking about the one currently available or the in the works...

bsd13
07-16-2010, 12:56 AM
Just like everyone else is saying, some people including customers want "professionals" to have certifications...

I do have another question for you guys then, how is the Security+? I'm thinking of taking that one not just for the cert but to hopefully learn more unless it's like the A+...

Problem is that many people equate the A+ with being a professional and it's a far cry from it.

Don't get me wrong, it's not bad to have the knowledge and I'd encourage anyone to pick up and look over an A+ book to get the very basics of pc repair down IF they have virtually no real "game time" working on computers in the real world. If they do then they are better going for a certification that carries some weight to it.

As far as security+ goes here's some comparison of it vs CISSP

http://www.tek-tips.com/viewthread.cfm?qid=1463421&page=1
http://elamb.org/security-vs-cissp-part-1/
http://securitycerts.org/comparisons/cissp-security+.htm

In the end it depends on how much security experience and knowledge you have. If none at all Security+ sounds like a good way to get the foot in the door and learn a little bit. Otherwise not so much.

SThompson86
07-16-2010, 01:37 AM
I am pro/expert now since I got my A+

RegEdit
07-16-2010, 09:44 AM
I am pro/expert now since I got my A+
OK. Now learn how to fix computers in forums like this one.
Seriously being certified is only useful if you're looking for someone else to employ you. 95% of the stuff you need to know is not taught in that course. And now they require you to retake the test every 3 years. It's all about $$.

SThompson86
07-16-2010, 12:02 PM
Prooooo status

pro filler

SThompson86
07-16-2010, 12:14 PM
OK. Now learn how to fix computers in forums like this one.
Seriously being certified is only useful if you're looking for someone else to employ you. 95% of the stuff you need to know is not taught in that course. And now they require you to retake the test every 3 years. It's all about $$.

You took my sarcasm like a Bass fish to a Banjo Minow ! :p

As Seen on TV! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMvpAqQ0Rso