PDA

View Full Version : Any Cisco people here? Rommon help needed

Fred_G
01-29-2008, 01:51 AM
I have a Cisco 2501 router I bought on the FleaBay. Is seems it has a password. Need that changed for my CCNA lab work. (Note: I own the router, and have physical access to it, nothing funny going on...)

I have it hooked up via the console port on the router to the serial port of my PC, with a rollover cable (RJ45 to Db9). The instructions are to hit CTL+Break during the router booting, using Hyper Terminal. I can't get it to work. All I get are 'Exception Jump to zero at 0xEE8 (PC)' Sometimes I get 0x31A8840.

Using Hyper Terminal, I can get in at the EXEC mode. That is all I can get into.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

E

thecoldone06
01-29-2008, 02:26 PM
I have had to do CTRL - ESC for the break sequence in HT. Once you get that break sequence correct it should take you to ROMMON mode. Below is a link to a password recovery walkthrough:

http://www.tech-faq.com/cisco-password-recovery.shtml

Also, you might want to check out TeraTerm (http://hp.vector.co.jp/authors/VA002416/teraterm.html). I use it instead of HT and love it. It's all personal preference though. Good Luck!

Fred_G
01-29-2008, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the reply. Started using Putty instead of HT last night, like it, will check out the other late. Seems like I am still stuck. I can get to the '>', but when I change the cofigeration registry, it does not reboot into rommon.

Part II: Modifying The Configuration

Power cycle the device.

Answer `No` to all of the setup questions.

At the "Router>" prompt, use the `enable` command to enter privileged mode. Your prompt will change to "Router#".

I never get to this point. Well, I will work on it some more later tonight. Oh yeah, in Exec mode, 'show versions', the configeration register is not changing with what I am trying 'confreg 0x2142'. It stays at 0x2102.

Thanks

E

thecoldone06
01-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Thanks for the reply. Started using Putty instead of HT last night, like it, will check out the other late. Seems like I am still stuck. I can get to the '>', but when I change the cofigeration registry, it does not reboot into rommon.

Part II: Modifying The Configuration

Power cycle the device.

Answer `No` to all of the setup questions.

At the "Router>" prompt, use the `enable` command to enter privileged mode. Your prompt will change to "Router#".

I never get to this point. Well, I will work on it some more later tonight. Oh yeah, in Exec mode, 'show versions', the configeration register is not changing with what I am trying 'confreg 0x2142'. It stays at 0x2102.

Thanks

E

where are you typing "show versions" at? in ROMMON or at the actual router prompt after it boots up? Basically changing the configuration register tells the router to boot up without any stored config and just load the IOS. This way you can clear the config or you can show it and change the passwords as needed in order to get in. What happens if you type "show flash"? Putty is a very good program as well. I use it when i connect remotely to my cisco equipment. :)

Fred_G
01-30-2008, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the reply thecoldone06. I got it figured out using a link I got in another forum. http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps233/products_password_recovery09186a0080094795.shtml

Not sure if what I was doing was wrong or what my book was telling me do was wrong. I followed the instructions on the link and it worked. My routers config reg # is 0xFFFF2102, not 0x2102.

Thanks a lot for your time.

E

thecoldone06
01-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Glad you got it figured out. Happy routing! ;)