PDA

View Full Version : Pizza Box Flyer

colonydata
07-02-2010, 05:34 PM
I got a call from a company that works with the local domino's. they are selling ads on a flyer that is put on the lid of pizza boxes for the local domino. they want 350 for six months. Domino's is one of two pizza places in town the other being pizza hut.

it sounds like it might be a good deal, they are going to follow up with me after the July 4th weekend and i am going to get some hard data about it.

anyone ever done this before? any thoughts? and yeah i realize that this would literally make me a pizza tech.

NYJimbo
07-02-2010, 06:28 PM
1) Order Dominos this weekend and see if you actually get a flyer.

2) Request a CURRENT sample of the flyer that they give to dominos stores to put on boxes.

3) If you get one of those flyers and are feeling ballsy, call one or more of the other companies advertising and be honest about what you do and ask them if they get any sales from their ads.

Alan22
07-02-2010, 11:24 PM
1) Order Dominos this weekend and see if you actually get a flyer.

2) Request a CURRENT sample of the flyer that they give to dominos stores to put on boxes.

3) If you get one of those flyers and are feeling ballsy, call one or more of the other companies advertising and be honest about what you do and ask them if they get any sales from their ads.

Excellent advice right there, especially about calling other advertisers. They are most likely small businesses like you.

colonydata, let me ask you this, if you did this type of advertising and received a call from another business asking if it was working, you would give the person a minute or two of your time to discuss it, wouldn't you? I would and I'm guessing the other business owners would also.

emsbronco
07-04-2010, 10:23 PM
Funny that you posted this...my wife's business is getting setup to do a pizza box topper for local pizza places. And, since I have the inside track, I'm getting good placement ;-)

We've researched the pizza box toppers and I think it is a great advertising medium, but you need to see how "sticky" your ad will be (and I mean sticky literally). Is there anything that will make a consumer hold onto that ad or stick it to the fridge? Two things that help are having a menu printed on the back and having coupons for a future pizza purchase.

Are they using glossy or coated paper to minimize the grease absorption into the paper? If the paper soaks up grease, it is less likely to be "sticky".

Also, if you do advertise, make sure to make your ad attractive, and if you have a special offer, make sure to post an expiration date, the ad may be hanging on the fridge for a while. Remember, it will be seen by 3 or 4 people at a time while eating a meal. So, that pizza box topper will have several impressions in a short period of time, plus the additional impressions if it gets hung up.

Of course, this is in addition to what NYJimbo posted...his points are great!

colonydata
07-27-2011, 03:58 PM
Hate to dredge up a year old post but i was contacted by the same people again. i did not do the ad last year.

here are the prices that were quoted to me this go round.

Domino's Pizza Box Topper
2.3 x 2.7 normal 430 now 300
2.3x3.52 normal 550 now 400
4.75x2.1 normal 650 now 500
july 22,2011

and that is for a run of 22,000 two sided fliers and my ad would be facing up 1/2 the time.

i did not do it this time either,mainly because anytime i asked about performance he would tell me about results in jacksonville,fl which is a tad different from fitzgerald,ga.

and when i had to give him an answer right now i just told him no. i've been a sucker on to many high pressure sales pitches.

strollin
07-27-2011, 05:18 PM
... and when i had to give him an answer right now i just told him no. i've been a sucker on to many high pressure sales pitches.
"Now or never" sales tactic is usually a sign that the deal is iffy.

RichmondTech
07-27-2011, 06:35 PM
Hate to dredge up a year old post but i was contacted by the same people again. i did not do the ad last year.

here are the prices that were quoted to me this go round.

and that is for a run of 22,000 two sided fliers and my ad would be facing up 1/2 the time.

i did not do it this time either,mainly because anytime i asked about performance he would tell me about results in jacksonville,fl which is a tad different from fitzgerald,ga.

and when i had to give him an answer right now i just told him no. i've been a sucker on to many high pressure sales pitches.

No offense, but if you told them no before and you told them no again, why are you dredging up a year old thread?

Now if you did go with them before and you were reporting how it went I could see where that would be beneficial.

colonydata
07-27-2011, 07:03 PM
i did not tell him no a year ago, i was out of town when he called, and he never followed up with me when he said he would.

krutoi
07-27-2011, 10:39 PM
I recently signed up for an ad on the back of pharmacy prescription bags - 24k bags for $260, in two different locations of a popular grocery store chain. Can't wait to see how it performs. I put a dotted line around it and stuck a "cut this ad out for $10 off any service" on the end. The same company does ads on wine bags as well - maybe worth a try if this one works.

RichmondTech
07-28-2011, 02:18 AM
I recently signed up for an ad on the back of pharmacy prescription bags - 24k bags for $260, in two different locations of a popular grocery store chain. Can't wait to see how it performs. I put a dotted line around it and stuck a "cut this ad out for $10 off any service" on the end. The same company does ads on wine bags as well - maybe worth a try if this one works.

Awesome! I don't know if you're already doing this, but if you start running ads in different places, you can have different coupon codes with your advertised discounts so you can go back after the ad campaigns finish and see how many sales came from what kind of advertising.