PDA

View Full Version : Billing vs COD

layoric
01-28-2008, 07:27 AM
So far I've been turning down billing requests. I always have dealt with C.O.D. I just don't trust people, I mostly deal with home users, not businesses, but even 2 businesses have tried to push for a bill instead of paying.

The way I see it is if a plumber came to your house, would you tell him you're not going to pay him and to bill you? That just doesn't happen, at least in my experience. I'm not a utility company with thousands of customers and matching revenue, I'm an individual...

On the other hand, at slow times I've turned away work because they don't have the money to pay now, and I might have been able to get payment later via an invoice and some terms such as 15 or 30 days. My wife is really against that option, especially if I sell them a computer.

My invoice software allows the capability for them to sign an invoice digitally, and print out copies/export to files/email, etc. (Mobile Invoice).

Could I get your opinions and what your practices are?

Thanks -

Layoric

tartis
01-28-2008, 12:18 PM
I always get paid at time of service when it is a home user. I also like to get paid at time of service for commercial work, because they may take 30-45 days to pay me. I just sent out an invoice to a company that owes me $460, it would be nice to already have those funds in the bank instead of waiting.

People need to understand that your terms are payment at time of service. Put this in your Terms of Service/Liabilty Waiver and have them sign the document before you do any work.

gunslinger
01-28-2008, 12:30 PM
I never do billing, you cannot "trust" people. Thats not how it works. I always do C.O.D. I wont even do cash up front, because something can always happen to the system before I drop it off. I still have people try not to pay sometimes. One guy waited until I delivered his computer to tell me he did not have the money take in mind it was a 30 mile drive as well. I told him I would just take it back to the shop and he could come pick it up when he did have the money. Funny how the money just came out of nowhere after telling him that. They don't get the system until I have cash in hand.

mh348
01-28-2008, 05:00 PM
I also do COD, I something get offered payment upfront but I refuse and request that It be paid only once I'm done.

What Accounting/Invoice Software do you guys use, I currently use Invoice 2002 but I'm looking at getting a better package, what do you recommend.