PDA

View Full Version : Red Hat and a 2nd lpt port

n3m1515
07-01-2010, 06:45 PM
I have a customer who is running a Red Hat server and needs a 2nd LPT port installed for a receipt printer. The receipt printer is installed on a switchbox now and works fine. Does anyone have any recommendations for a card that would be compatible or would any PCI PNP card work? It's an older Dell Optiplex and should have PCI slots(I hope, I haven't had to open the machine up yet). Also is there anything else I would have to configure to get this operational.

I use Linux daily, but have not done alot on Red Hat servers.

n3m1515
07-06-2010, 02:43 AM
No help from anyone???:confused:

Codemonkey
07-08-2010, 08:11 AM
There's a card made by Lava that works with Linux. I installed one on a machine that was running an old Redhat distro (maybe 8 or 9). I thought I was screwed when I was asked to add a parallel port to an outdated version of Redhat so they could run an antique dot matrix printer but it all worked fine.

I think this was the one:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815317014&cm_re=lava_lpt-_-15-317-014-_-Product

I chose it specifically for the comment on the page about it running out of the box on Linux.

n3m1515
07-09-2010, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the advice. I had also asked the software vendor who provides support for this Credit bureau system, but they have not replied yet. Should have no problems with them once I get onsite and let the customer call them and hand the phone off. We are going to order the suggested card then schedule the install. I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks again

PcTek9
07-11-2010, 06:46 AM
You're on the right path. I had a couple of servers that had 3 lpt ports on them.

We finally got new usb printers, and that opened up a plethora of new experimental technology.

Apparently just b/c you have a card with 8 usb plugs doesn't mean you can hook up 8 printers. LOL.

n3m1515
07-22-2010, 05:04 PM
Job done. We found another card which included both lpt ports. Installed the dual card and disabled the onboard card. Contacted the software vendor and setup the printers for their software. Everything is working perfectly.

Thanks for the help.