PDA

View Full Version : Parking problems at the office.

Puff
06-30-2010, 07:45 PM
So here's the deal. In the strip center where my shop is located there is no assigned parking and I have three spots directly in front of my retail space however, two of those spots are always occupied by employees at a neighboring business which leaves me with one spot.

Even though there is a vacant office next door to me, they still continue to park directly in front of my space.

I've asked them nicely if it would be possible to park somewhere else because I would like to leave the front spaces available for my customers. They then snapped back an told me that they park in front of my office so that the spaces in front of their insurance office are available for their customers.

I guess they didn't see the irony in their statement and I was unable to reason with them.

I'm now thinking about talking to the landlord and ask him if I can put up a sign reserving the only open space for my customers. This is very important to me because my customers are carrying computers and I want them to be as close to the front door as possible.

Does that sound unreasonable?

Xander
06-30-2010, 07:48 PM
Seems perfectly fair to me.

I'd also start parking in front of the insurance place and even consider telling customers on the phone to park there when they come...but that's me.

NYJimbo
06-30-2010, 07:50 PM
Not unreasonable at all. The landlord has an obligation to mediate in this and you cannot let the morons next door do anything to hurt your business.

I had a similiar problem and ended up making enemies of some of the tenants who live behind my store. I didnt have a choice. If I played nice with them it hurt my business, if I got tough they ended up hating me but my business would do better.

Start out soft and then get tougher if needed. But definitly tell the landlord its hurting you.

Alan22
06-30-2010, 08:29 PM
Definitely tell the landlord.

Some businesses I do work for had similar issues. One was able to get approval for 5 signs stating "Reserved for My Business Parking Only". Two others obtained approval to use orange construction cones with their company name & logo along with a time limit. They say 15 minutes at one location and 20 minutes at another. The cones are taken in every night.

Another business is in a strip mall with a very busy hair salon. Between the salon's employees and customers there was no parking for other businesses. The landlord got involved and now all employees park in the back of the building.

Yet another business I do work for does not have any signs, but the packing/shipping company next door does. It's a FedEx, UPS, DHL, etc. shipper. They have 4 signs saying 5 minute parking, drop off / pick-up only.

In each case the signs helped tremendously. Most people will respect it.

Martyn
06-30-2010, 08:30 PM
I would do the same, if they don't take the hint park in front of their office so defeating the object of what they are trying to do.

Puff
06-30-2010, 08:35 PM
I would do the same, if they don't take the hint park in front of their office so defeating the object of what they are trying to do.

I tried that once and the next day they all parked in front of my store and I had no spots and then when I asked them to move they said they parked in front of my store because I had parked in front of theirs. These people are real jerks.

I'm just going to let the landlord know that because of the parking situation that I will not be renewing my lease at the end of the year unless he does something about it because I can't have this.

Martyn
06-30-2010, 08:46 PM
I tried that once and the next day they all parked in front of my store and I had no spots and then when I asked them to move they said they parked in front of my store because I had parked in front of theirs. These people are real jerks.

I'm just going to let the landlord know that because of the parking situation that I will not be renewing my lease at the end of the year unless he does something about it because I can't have this.

Probably the right action, surely there are rules in the contract small print for them to adhere to?

Alan22
06-30-2010, 08:46 PM
Personally I wouldn't start off with a threat of not renewing the lease. Ask professionally and see what the landlord can do for you.

Puff
06-30-2010, 08:59 PM
Personally I wouldn't start off with a threat of not renewing the lease. Ask professionally and see what the landlord can do for you.

It's not a threat, it's a business decision that I will be informing him of. Had I know that I would be having these kind of problems I would not have signed the lease. The space I'm in has been vacant for a year and the space next to me has been vacant for a year and a half so I'm sure he's going to be a bit more receptive to my request than my neighbors are.

I will absolutely be professional but I'm also going to let him know that the current situation does not work for me and that if he can't resolve it then I'll have no choice but to move to another location which I hate to do but what choice do I have?

ATTech
06-30-2010, 09:22 PM
It's not a threat, it's a business decision that I will be informing him of.Semantics aside, not everybody responds well to ultimatums. The best course of action would be going to him, informing him of the problem and proposing a solution. If he gives you slack about it and refuses to do it, then I would bring up the issue about not renewing if no action is taken.

NYJimbo
06-30-2010, 09:43 PM

WHOA !

Be careful with threats to your landlord unless you really mean it. Landlords love to find ways to screw you over if they think you are leaving or if you are skittish or unpredictable. Sometimes its clear in the lease, other times its implied. Sometimes you have to connect the dots between sections of the lease, but it's there and you signed it.

One good threat from you can get you with a "FOR LEASE" sign on your window even if you are still months under lease. Carefully read your lease about leaving or termination. I have a friend who wanted to leave his store because he thought the landlord was a prick and the guy got screwed. The landlord had a right to put up a "for lease" sign 4 months before renewal and he brought in "prospective tenants" every couple of days for a walk through. In the end the guy stayed in the store because he couldnt find another location and the landlord raised the rent more than ever.

ajc196
06-30-2010, 11:19 PM
That's not at all unreasonable. Be glad that's feasible for you. In our strip, we have a popular restaurant, our shop, a popular nail salon, and Cellular South. The whole building's parking lot is very small, so around lunch time it's bat-sh** insane in the lot. It's every-man-for-himself in that place...

Puff
07-01-2010, 01:49 PM
Talked to the landlord this morning and explained the situation. He agreed and even told me that he had suggested to the tenants to not park in the prime spaces and to leave them for the customers.

He's going to talk to them and tell them that if they don't want to park in front of their office to park in the common area.

I didn't make any threats but I was prepared to plant the seed of doubt by telling him that because I have customers sometimes carrying heavy equipment that I need these spaces but it never came to that.

He did mention that he has several empty offices and that he does not want to lose anyone which tells me that he understands my concern. Retail space is easy to come by these days and out of all the floor plans available I've got the biggest and most expensive one.....I'm happy to know that I've got a landlord who is understanding and values my business.

Martyn
07-01-2010, 01:51 PM
Talked to the landlord this morning and explained the situation. He agreed and even told me that he had suggested to the tenants to not park in the prime spaces and to leave them for the customers.

He's going to talk to them and tell them that if they don't want to park in front of their office to park in the common area.

I didn't make any threats but I was prepared to plant the seed of doubt by telling him that because I have customers sometimes carrying heavy equipment that I need these spaces but it never came to that.

Well done, well handled.:)

Skyhooker
07-01-2010, 04:06 PM
Well done, well handled.:)

Exactly, and no government goons with government guns brought to bear - inconceivable! :)

Morrison5891
07-01-2010, 09:08 PM
Thats great you were able to resolve this issue. It is actually bad pratice for anyone running a business for employees to be parking directly infront of the office/store front. At one of my locations we have about 11 parking spaces and my employees know to park in the very last row and save the rows up front for customers.