PDA

View Full Version : Data Recovery

Boyd
01-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Data Recovery.

Do you offer this service? What do you charge?

What applications do you use to render this service?

This is one area of computer repair that I'm still a bit dodgy on. I've used a few apps to undelete, or find accidentally deleted files before... but when it comes to a failing HD, what do you do?

Simmy
01-25-2008, 08:19 PM
I use GetDataBack if it's a simple problem and I usually charge between 90-120. I think I'm going to start charging per GB though.

If it's an internal hardware problem; unless you have a clean room and the right equipment/parts to carry out the repair, there's not alot you can do.

If a hard drive doesn't spin up, it usally means the PCB has died. This is the easiest hardware repair because you simply need to replace the PCB with one from an identical make and model of working hard drive with preferably the same firmware. Ebay is probably your best bet for finding these. You then extract as much data as you can and sell a new hard drive or backup DVDs to the customer. It's not advisable to carry on using the ahrd drive with the new PCB.

greggh
01-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Simmy has it down. The other thing to talk about is actually using a partner for this. I do almost the exact same thing as Simmy here, but when it comes to the need for a clean room I am partnered with OnTrack. As a partner you call them up, tell them the specs, and they send you paperwork (email.) You then fill it out and ship the drive to them. In a few days they get back to you with the results and can then either send the dead drive back to you or send you the data on dvds or an external hard drive.

We use OnTrack two or three times a month.

MrMille
01-26-2008, 10:58 AM
I use GetDataBack if it's a simple problem and I usually charge between 90-120. I think I'm going to start charging per GB though.

Simmy, what do you use for more complex jobs?

mh348
01-26-2008, 08:43 PM
Simmy, what do you use for more complex jobs?

I use Magic Recovery Professional, it quickly scans the drive and shows you which files can be recovered.

MrMille
01-27-2008, 08:47 PM
Thanks for that.

How come some recovery packages are able to return actual file names, such as "My Documents\Paris.jpg"

but some other recovery package return something like
"0000001.jpg"

[Edit] I thought that was Simmy that replied. Simmy which recovery software do you use when GetDataBack isn't working for you?

Blues
01-28-2008, 05:33 PM
Thanks for that.

How come some recovery packages are able to return actual file names, such as "My Documents\Paris.jpg"

but some other recovery package return something like
"0000001.jpg"

[Edit] I thought that was Simmy that replied. Simmy which recovery software do you use when GetDataBack isn't working for you?

It may not be the recovery package but the type of corruption.

tartis
01-30-2008, 11:25 AM
I partner with Drive Savers for tough data recovery.

greggh
01-30-2008, 02:01 PM
I partner with Drive Savers for tough data recovery.

We used to be with Drive Savers, but some drives that they couldnt get data from OnTrack was able to recover. After the third one of those we just switched to always using OnTrack.

Andyuk2007
01-30-2008, 05:45 PM
I've not had to do data recovery like that yet as when i need to recover data i just hook it up to my comp and copy everything off from the drive onto my computer then to an external drive.

however I've not known which is the best software to use

Nathan H
01-30-2008, 07:27 PM

Hi Simmy

Any idea yet on how much you would charge per GB

P.S.

Checked out yr Web... Cool Site