PDA

View Full Version : data backup methods?

ftbendpc
01-22-2008, 11:45 PM
What is the fastest most reliable way to back up the customers data when a full reinstall is needed? What do you guys do/use?

gunslinger
01-23-2008, 12:12 AM
You could go about it a few different ways. First you could do an image of their drive and pick out what you need from that. You could also do a real quick and dirty backup from the my docs folder and backup outlook if they use it. It really depends on how they keep their data and how much needs backed up. I find about 80-90% of my customers just have an mp3 collection a few pics, and some email contacts. I can back this much up to a USB drive and do a virus scan on it before I return it to the system. If the customer has lots of programs and they want to save their settings the disk image is your best bet I think.

Boyd
01-25-2008, 07:11 PM
What application do you use for making images? Is there anything other than Norton Ghost? Perhaps, slightly more affordable for us working-class types?

greggh
01-25-2008, 07:22 PM
What application do you use for making images? Is there anything other than Norton Ghost? Perhaps, slightly more affordable for us working-class types?

As everyone else on the forum will agree, Acronis is the only tool. Nothing else comes close to it. Acronis True Image is by far the best and easiest.

Simmy
01-25-2008, 07:41 PM
As everyone else on the forum will agree, Acronis is the only tool. Nothing else comes close to it. Acronis True Image is by far the best and easiest.

QFT.

What about tape backup? Probably the most reliable and decent drives should be quick.

ftbendpc
01-25-2008, 08:22 PM
The problem i always ran into no mater what i tell the customer is that they have way to high of expectations out of a data backup. I have even printed up a " what to expect from a data backup" guide. The customer always seems to think the computer will be the exact same as it was b4 minus the bad stuff after a full install. I do my best to put favorites, mydocs , and email back but there is always something that is not how they expect it should be.

Any thoughts on this?

greggh
01-25-2008, 09:56 PM
QFT.

What about tape backup? Probably the most reliable and decent drives should be quick.

I havent recommended tape backup in years. If they want the headache of something to swap out I go with cartridge (hard drive) based solutions like the Dell RD1000. Way faster backup and restore.

Holzster
01-26-2008, 01:59 AM
I second the Acronis True Image

tkrabec
01-27-2008, 10:11 PM
I've recently been through a nice recovery situation, and I am in the process of redoing some backups, and testing for data recovery. Over the next few weeks to a month I will have good material.

Blues
01-28-2008, 05:42 PM
Tape backups are best for large business that use a tape library backup device. This device holds multiple tapes and rotates which one it backs up to and the tapes LTO3 or LTO4 now the common type hold several hundred gigabytes.

ftbendpc
01-28-2008, 09:21 PM
I have acronis and have been using it but the problem i guess im having is the customers don't understand what to do with the data. I try and put the favs and my docs back but there is always some program that needs a little tlc once they get home and they feel like it should be free since they paid for a data backup.

for example they use xyz accounting software. once they get home the install xyz and they have all of the data on a dvd but they don't know how to restore xyz. Do any of you have a form that customers sign about data backup.

tkrabec
01-29-2008, 02:06 AM
I am looking into offering an online offsite backup for my clients(no software chosen yet). I do not think I will be using another service such as mozy or carbonite, since I don't get the warm fuzzies. Part of the service I will be offering is review of the logs to make sure that the backups are occuring, and that any problems are resolved in a timely manner.

You need to look at the time it takes to recover from a disaster, a few files, a directory, a significant amount of data, and finely a complete restore of an entire machine or server. The time a business will be down from a disastrer is critical in planning and buidgeting.

-- Tim