PDA

View Full Version : Mac pro as server and desktop machine?

rcspcs
06-20-2010, 04:16 AM
Well I was debating whether to get 2 hdds in it and install osx desktop on hdd 1 and windows small business server on the other.... Or should I just use this as a desktop machine? I would small business server to manage a testing server and such. And also does anyone know if the apple retail store keeps airport extreme cards in stock for the mac pros? Of course I would go hardwire if I ran server on it

anonymous Mac Tech
06-20-2010, 08:19 AM
Well I was debating whether to get 2 hdds in it and install osx desktop on hdd 1 and windows small business server on the other.... Or should I just use this as a desktop machine? I would small business server to manage a testing server and such. And also does anyone know if the apple retail store keeps airport extreme cards in stock for the mac pros? Of course I would go hardwire if I ran server on it

You can pretty much do whatever you want with a Mac Pro. You have 4 drive bays to work with and more than enough horsepower to do both. I've installed airport extreme cards on those. We don't stock the cards but we order them when people ask. It only takes a day to get parts from Apple. I don't know if the Apple store would stock the cards because there isn't a huge demand for airport extreme cards for the pros. Worst part about installing those cards is connecting the antenna cables without having to gut the machine to get leverage to attach the cables in a confined area. Bluetooth card is serparate on the pros, so if you want BT also its another separate card.

rcspcs
06-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Thanks for your response and I apologize it took me so long to respond... But i did run windows server '08 on it and your right i runs flawlessly!