PDA

View Full Version : Google Organic is location dependent? Help me test.

JRDtechnet
06-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Can someone google theses phrases without in google and let me know if I show up on the first page?

laptop repair service
computer repair service

Reason I ask is because if I google those terms on different computers in my service area my site jrdtech.net is usually in the top 5 in google organic, (not adwords or the local section...although I do show up in there too). Curious thing though I was chatting with someone from another state that called and he googled that same term and couldn't find me in the first couple pages. I did a search from my Blackberry which has either a Maine or NY based IP and I can't find myself on there either.

I always though that google organic was the same for everyone, at least in the same country, but it seems like even regular google organic lists are different based on...not sure what...state, county, city? Anyway search those 2 terms for me and let me know your location and whether or not I'm at least on the first page or not. Thanks.

Cambridge PC Support
06-17-2010, 05:59 PM
nope, you don't show up at all for either of those phrases - I'm in the UK

Google attempts to detect where you are via IP address (I think) or your gmail account or any other Google services that you're running

I personally use the GoogleSharing plugin for Firefox to disable this effect - but have to remember to disable the plugin when accessing my various Google services else they throw a wobbly

Cambridge PC Support
06-17-2010, 06:03 PM
I see you way down the list on the Google Places (Google Local) section but apparently you don't exist...

"Computer Repair, Laptop Repair, PC Services - JRD Tech‎- more info
463 Lake Barnegat Drive North, Forked River, NJ‎ - (609) 385-3982‎
Reported to not exist."

onetech4all
06-17-2010, 09:57 PM
Those are broad keywords and they take a lot of work to achieve what you are trying to achieve. I would say stick with your city or county and then move up to nation wide or world wide.

shouldbe
06-17-2010, 10:25 PM
in both searches you came in the third result on the first page
i am in one of the states near nj

JRDtechnet
06-17-2010, 11:23 PM
in both searches you came in the third result on the first page
i am in one of the states near nj

Thanks, that's what I get too, occasionally 'computer repair service' will rank me first but then I'll do a refresh and I'll be 3rd or 4th. So your not in NJ then, is your IP address perhaps? http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation

ZenMike
06-17-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm in S/E PA. No go on first page for either phrase.

You'll also see different results whether you're logged into Google or not when you search. I don't know what the criteria is.

krash2k
06-18-2010, 01:23 AM
Can someone google theses phrases without in google and let me know if I show up on the first page?

laptop repair service
computer repair service

Reason I ask is because if I google those terms on different computers in my service area my site jrdtech.net is usually in the top 5 in google organic, (not adwords or the local section...although I do show up in there too). Curious thing though I was chatting with someone from another state that called and he googled that same term and couldn't find me in the first couple pages. I did a search from my Blackberry which has either a Maine or NY based IP and I can't find myself on there either.

I always though that google organic was the same for everyone, at least in the same country, but it seems like even regular google organic lists are different based on...not sure what...state, county, city? Anyway search those 2 terms for me and let me know your location and whether or not I'm at least on the first page or not. Thanks.

I am in Mauldin, SC but tracking my IP shows me in Spartanburg, SC (Guess the NOC is there? I dunno) I show you...

laptop repair service - middle of page 2
computer repair service - Middle of page 3

Hope that helps!

shouldbe
06-18-2010, 01:53 AM
my ip shows in new york
seems that in local states you are on the first page

IAMPC
06-18-2010, 02:50 AM

laptop repair service
computer repair service

One question, when you do a search for yourself in Google, are you logged in your Google account for things like "Google Webmaster Tools" or not? If you are logged in your Google account and then do a search, there is a very good chance that you will pop up right on the first page. This will be not true for anyone else other than you.

And to answer your question, Google will not show the exact results to everyone the same for organic search. Specially if they are logged on into their Google account too. The algorithms will show them results depending on the history of their past searches.

JRDtechnet
06-18-2010, 05:44 AM
One question, when you do a search for yourself in Google, are you logged in your Google account for things like "Google Webmaster Tools" or not? If you are logged in your Google account and then do a search, there is a very good chance that you will pop up right on the first page. This will be not true for anyone else other than you.

And to answer your question, Google will not show the exact results to everyone the same for organic search. Specially if they are logged on into their Google account too. The algorithms will show them results depending on the history of their past searches.

No I come up in the top 5 whether I'm logged in or not. Also every customer I've been too I usually do a quick google search using their computer for those terms and I come up on the first page in organic.

Crgky127
06-18-2010, 01:06 PM
You're #3 for me in CT, IP in MA.

nj_computer_repair
06-18-2010, 02:42 PM
Those are broad keywords and they take a lot of work to achieve what you are trying to achieve. I would say stick with your city or county and then move up to nation wide or world wide.

JRDtechnet is an SEO master.

nj_computer_repair
06-18-2010, 02:55 PM

I've come to realize that Google organic is location based for certain keywords. 2 main keywords on your site are "nj" and "new jersey" so I image you will rank high if those 2 keywords are included in a search regardless where you search from. Google likes to play sneaky games with us!

Also, browser cache has a lot to do with rank. Doing SEO, I'm sure you do thousands of searches per week and your site will "appear" to be ranked high when in fact, it's just because you search for your keywords often. I was excited that my site was coming up high for a particular keyword in firefox and then when I searched on the same computer in safari, it was not ranked the same. I guess it's all part of their "algorithm".

PS - your still coming up on my radar when searching for keywords LOL

JRDtechnet
06-18-2010, 05:33 PM
JRDtechnet is an SEO master.

Thanks :) Your site is starting to pop up a lot more during my searches too, especially in regards to laptop repair.