PDA

View Full Version : Liability Insurance

Leztek
01-21-2008, 02:58 AM
Hey all...

Nezt question...

How many of you guys carry liability or other types of insurances?

Who is your carrier and how much are your premiums?

Thanks

ftbendpc
01-22-2008, 09:12 PM
I have a policy through Nationwide. I am covered for 1 million in property and actually am cover from theft and natural disaster in my shop. I pay around 500.00 a year. My shop was broken into after only being open for 3 months and i did not have insurance yet. You wanna talk about mad customers try telling them their pc got stolen. It all worked out in the end and all of the customers ended up with better computers than they started out with.

Live and learn
Install Burglar bars.

Simmy
01-22-2008, 10:27 PM
I've got public liability and professional indemnity insurance which costs around 230 a year I believe. I use it as a selling point, so I make it well known to my customers that I'm insured. I haven't had to use it yet *touch wood* but it's nice to know it's there if I ever need it.

Sorry to hear about the break in ftbendpc. Security my main concern with running a PC shop. Have you had any problems since?

Leztek
01-22-2008, 10:45 PM
Ok I received a quote form Techinsurance.. It is actually a Hartford policy...

The General Liability and Property Quote is 500.00

They also offer a Errors and Admissions package for 1000? I am not 100 percent sure what this covers. Ideas?

Sorry about the break in FT...

Thanks guys.

Simmy
01-22-2008, 10:53 PM
They also offer a Errors and Admissions package for 1000? I am not 100 percent sure what this covers. Ideas?

That's what is known as professional indemnity. It covers you if you have given a client incorrect/misinformed advice or if you've been negligent in some way.

Leztek
01-22-2008, 11:39 PM
Thanks Simmy...

I guess that really wouldn't be necessary until I start getting more business clients...

Thanks again...

Holzster
01-26-2008, 02:38 AM
I get a Million dollar policy for $200-$300 per year - takes care of everything I touch (deductible is about $3000.00), so this is for MAJOR WHOOPSES

Holzster

ftbendpc
01-26-2008, 02:46 AM
havn't had a problem since burglar bars and video camera system.

Nathan H
01-27-2008, 10:04 PM
HI Simmy i too am in the uk who is your insurance package with? i am seriouly thinking it may be a good idea as an advertising point not just as peace of mind.

Holzster
01-28-2008, 12:39 PM
Like I said I have is for a just in case an employee or me FUBAR a server or.........

Should not happen but...

rsavoia
02-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Ok I received a quote form Techinsurance.. It is actually a Hartford policy...

The General Liability and Property Quote is 500.00

Sorry about the break in FT...

Thanks guys.

I just interviewed the president of TechInsurance, Jim Cochran, on the latest episode of The Force Field. We discussed all the insurance options for techs as well as if and how much insurance is needed when starting your computer business. You can hear the episode at theforcefield.net.

Simmy
02-04-2008, 04:18 PM
HI Simmy i too am in the uk who is your insurance package with? i am seriouly thinking it may be a good idea as an advertising point not just as peace of mind.

Sorry Nathan, I didn't see your post til just now. I went through a company called Simply Business - Link (http://www.simplybusiness.co.uk)

Nathan H
02-05-2008, 01:52 PM
cheers for getting back Simmy

Checkmate
02-15-2008, 07:53 PM
I have found State Farm insurance to be very competitive priced and the coverage is superb. I have a policy very similar to FtBendPC and pay around $430 a year. Plus bonus for having office and vehicle insurance with them

OfficeITPlus
02-24-2008, 04:13 PM

I would be very careful about advertising exactly what insurances you carry. Some include a clause that specifically invalidates the insurance if you disclose the fact to third parties. Don't you just love Insurance companies.:rolleyes:

I am a member of the Professional Contractors Group in the UK and use the insurance tied to them. It gets me a much larger limit on the liability.

Tony