PDA

View Full Version : Post Card Marketing vs. Door to Door

shill
06-08-2010, 06:22 PM
Hello all!

I've been looking into various methods of advertising and right now I have two that I'm am kind of torn between. I've been doing research on Vista Print's post card marketing, and it looks pretty good. You can choose to buy a list of addresses for businesses or residential in your area, and then they will send your post cards to the list you select. I'm just wondering if you think this would be worth it, or if it is better to go door to door trying to get customers passing out fliers.

bsd13
06-12-2010, 04:59 PM
I was just thinking about this, door to door vs other marketing methods. My dad used to sell electrical fencing to the local farmers. He'd go "door to door" and give a 15 to 30 minute demonstration of the product, answer questions (except a firm price quote), and then either have a sale or not. He never worried about advertising or business cards or any of that kind of stuff. It was all face to face interaction. I don't know what percentage of sales he had from his door to door interactions but I do know he was always busy.

I've done the door to door approach a few times and it hasn't been to bad as far as investment (time) and rate of return (income). It's certainly a lot more work than print advertising for a few reasons.

1) You have to dress nicely. If I want to throw together a print ad campaign I can do it at 2am in the morning in my underwear without having shaven for 3 days. Try that with door to door marketing.

2) You have to know your product, intimately. Potential customers will grill you with questions. If they think you don't know your stuff they'll slam the door in your face. I had a lady almost ready to agree to a few hours worth of work when her college aged son came downstairs and started grilling me with Mac questions. I know next to nothing about the Mac OS but tried BSing my way through it (after all I have google so I can learn, right?!). After about 3 minutes of making a fool of myself she said no thanks.

3) There's never a good time to knock on someone's door. It's almost never convenient which means you have to hit the ground running.

If you do try door to door marketing be sure to practice your presentation. Practice, practice, practice. Practice on family, friends, willing neighbors, etc. Practice in front of a mirror, in your car. Wherever just practice. Try to have your presentation take no more than 3 minutes. The rest of the time (5 to 10 minutes from what I've seen) should be dedicated to answering questions so the potential customer can see you know your "stuff".

Codemonkey
06-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Of the two I would choose postcards. I've never personally used either but I know how I react when someone rings my doorbell and tries to sell me something - or hands me a flier about Jesus. ;)

I've always thought about postcards but I am afraid of annoying potential customers. When I get a promotional postcard in the mail I may quickly glance at it but it usually ends up in the trash. In fact, I can't remember any postcards I have gotten recently although I remember throwing several away. They don't annoy me but I just disregard them.

The prices on Vistaprint are about $.41 per postcard for my area. I think that's too expensive. To send a postcard to my entire zip code would be over $4000. It's unlikely I would recoup my investment.

shill
06-14-2010, 02:05 PM
For me though, I already have fliers, which can easily be made into post cars, with an address label. The stamps for post cards are 28 cents right now I believe. I may try door to door, and send post cards to the neighborhoods with no soliciting signs(there are a LOT in my area)

Lou Horton
06-14-2010, 04:18 PM
Vistaprints contact lists might be ok for residential customers but they didn't seem to be that great on the business side.

I've used InfoUSA for business contact lists and that worked out ok but they can get kind of expensive.

If anyone has any other companies that sell targeted contact information, would love to hear about them.

Even if you purchase/build your own contact list, you can still upload them to Vistaprint for distribution.

Abet Computers
06-15-2010, 07:31 AM
don't do this, i wasted $700.00 on this and did not get more than 3 customers

http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/livepreview.aspx?Log=0&doc_id=767137050&page=1&width=402&renderMode=3&langid=1

http://www.vistaprint.com/vp/ns/livepreview.aspx?Log=0&doc_id=767137050&page=2&width=402&renderMode=3&langid=1
Back side

RegEdit
06-15-2010, 08:08 AM
Stick business cards on driver's side windows of parked cars and on mailboxes of businesses. 500 cards for about $15.73. That's about 3 cents per card.

Aside from that just get a website (with SEO) and be listed in the yellow pages.

hardtoremember
06-15-2010, 04:50 PM
Door to door only if it's businesses. I would rather do post cards.

I do not answer my door if it isn't somebody I either know, am expecting or one of my neighbors. I just let my dogs scare them off.

usacvlr
06-15-2010, 05:30 PM
Door to door solicitors go to the Special Hell (TM) All Rights Reserved.

Xander
06-16-2010, 12:59 AM
http://www.zgeek.com/forum/gallery/files/1/5/4/7/specialhell.jpg

Sweet! Sign me up!

shill
06-18-2010, 01:17 AM
Door to door solicitors go to the Special Hell (TM) All Rights Reserved.

lol, I really just meant putting fliers on the outsides of mailboxes, not actually going to their doors.

bsd13
06-20-2010, 08:35 PM
lol, I really just meant putting fliers on the outsides of mailboxes, not actually going to their doors.

That'll just get you sent to prison, not hell. :)