PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Page Ad

ComputerClinic
06-06-2010, 01:58 AM
http://www.bozemancc.com/files/YP_White.png
http://www.bozemancc.com/files/YP_Grey.png

Which one do you like better? Would you change anything with the overall layout? Thanks in advance.

Cambridge PC Support
06-06-2010, 07:57 AM
it depends on what everyone else in your section in the Yellow Pages is doing :)

you obviously want yours to stick out, so if everyone else has a white background, go with the black background - and vice versa

my background is a kind of brightish purple with white text which no-one else has

so if it was me I'd consider the orange or blue as a background

nice ads though :)

jj2000
06-06-2010, 08:33 AM
it depends on what everyone else in your section in the Yellow Pages is doing

you obviously want yours to stick out, so if everyone else has a white background, go with the black background - and vice versa

I couldn't agree more with the above statement, i just hope you have more luck with the yellow pages than i ever did !
I was with them for years and the last year i had not one single call from someone using the yellow pages.

Puff
06-06-2010, 11:06 AM
I like the one on the top but like as the others have pointed out use whichever is going to stand out among the rest.

Personally, I have not used the Yellow Pages for anything in the past 10 years other than to rip one in half. When I opened by store one was sent to me. I looked at the computer listings and there were a lot of them. I threw the book away simply because I don't use it and like newspapers it's a dinosaur. IMO

ComputerClinic
06-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Well, there's only a few others with actual color ads, and they all basically say the same thing. Only one of them is half page like mine will be. Really, either one of my ads will stand out. I'm leaning towards the white background, but I'll see what they look like on paper before I choose.

I'm pretty confident that this ad will be a big success. I say that because my last boss advertised only in the yellowpages (as far as I could tell) and he had enough business to hire 2 techs (well, he only really needed 1 IMO). Also, the other big shop in my area advertises consistently there so they must be getting business from it.

Cambridge PC Support
06-06-2010, 01:05 PM
remember that you'll be stuck with those prices for a whole year. you could always do "from $80" which I personally don't like but it would cover you. I don't put prices anywhere as i'd rather talk to the prospective customer first

NeutronTech
06-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Why is there an icon for virus removal for $99 then under advanced repair it lists virus removal for 139? Or am i reading this wrong?

coreyspeed
06-06-2010, 02:42 PM
Why is there an icon for virus removal for $99 then under advanced repair it lists virus removal for 139? Or am i reading this wrong?

i agree this is confusing

DarDar
06-06-2010, 03:37 PM
I don't think the titles under the stars are linked to the stars. I think they are meant to be a list of services offered. Maybe should consider moving them further down the ad to differentiate the two a bit more?

chrisaroz
06-06-2010, 04:53 PM
I thought the services listed under the icons were the prices for those services. Seems a little confusing. i.e. I thought laptop repairs were $79, Home Networks $139. I don't know how you would break that up, but you need to.

PcTek9
06-06-2010, 05:43 PM
I thought the same thing most of you did. That the signs were linked to the bullet lists underneath.

I also thought that the little splash explosion and the color of the text inside was tooo close. It doesn't stand out. Yeah it's cool looking and shiny glass like... but does not stand out.

I just noticed something else. It says 'no-nonsense' repair. but then i see basic repair $79 and advanced repair $139. well...how do i know what's a basic or advanced repair? virus removal $99... where's the flat rate in all this? i already see that your ad in my mind is lying to me. you present me with 3 different rates and claim no-nonsense flat rate. i dont know if it has a virus or if it has an adv. repair on it. very confusing to me, joe customer.

These ads are terrible. Confusing. and the splash things are complimentary instead of contrasting to the text within. the ads are very busy too. all you need is something jumping up and down like a jack russel terrier and you would have a 3 ring circus. im sorry to give you such a negative opinion and i apologize if you take it the wrong way, but i would have them to redo it.

with that said, the ad looks gorgeous. i love the gloss glass effects. the graphics are superb. whoever did this knows art. its beautiful.

* what you could do:

put stuff related to the stars under the stars. figure out some way to assure them your not baiting them with a basic repair, then switching to an advanced repair - because in my mind, i saw this ad and thought "yeah right... it starts out as a basic repair on the phone, but then you wind up paying more bc the tek guy needs to make a car payment." So figure out on your ad how NOT to create doubt, that will create instant consumer confidence. this is your chance to 'hook' the customer. don't give them any opportunity to doubt you, especially not on your ad. definitely make the stuff inside the stars contrast with the background of the stars more.

ComputerClinic
06-07-2010, 04:06 AM
I don't think the titles under the stars are linked to the stars. I think they are meant to be a list of services offered. Maybe should consider moving them further down the ad to differentiate the two a bit more?

Yep. They're not linked to the stars at all. I'll move my logo up and other buttons up and put the services at the bottom.

I also thought that the little splash explosion and the color of the text inside was tooo close. It doesn't stand out. Yeah it's cool looking and shiny glass like... but does not stand out.

I just noticed something else. It says 'no-nonsense' repair. but then i see basic repair $79 and advanced repair $139. well...how do i know what's a basic or advanced repair? virus removal $99... where's the flat rate in all this? i already see that your ad in my mind is lying to me. you present me with 3 different rates and claim no-nonsense flat rate. i dont know if it has a virus or if it has an adv. repair on it. very confusing to me, joe customer.

These ads are terrible. Confusing. and the splash things are complimentary instead of contrasting to the text within. the ads are very busy too. all you need is something jumping up and down like a jack russel terrier and you would have a 3 ring circus. im sorry to give you such a negative opinion and i apologize if you take it the wrong way, but i would have them to redo it.

with that said, the ad looks gorgeous. i love the gloss glass effects. the graphics are superb. whoever did this knows art. its beautiful.

* what you could do:

put stuff related to the stars under the stars. figure out some way to assure them your not baiting them with a basic repair, then switching to an advanced repair - because in my mind, i saw this ad and thought "yeah right... it starts out as a basic repair on the phone, but then you wind up paying more bc the tek guy needs to make a car payment." So figure out on your ad how NOT to create doubt, that will create instant consumer confidence. this is your chance to 'hook' the customer. don't give them any opportunity to doubt you, especially not on your ad. definitely make the stuff inside the stars contrast with the background of the stars more.

Well...Thanks for your honestly lol. I designed these ads myself. I'm not sure how I could make the text inside the stars stand out more. Maybe black text instead of white? Some other effect besides a drop shadow? I'm open to suggestions. :)

I am not trying to be deceptive at all. It says flat rate because there are no hourly charges (something unique in my area). I don't know if it is advanced or basic until I talk to them on the phone. And sometimes, yes, it does turn in to an advanced repair but I always get permission before continuing work and if they decline they only pay the diagnosis fee. I think that you and I have a different definition of flat rate. I have different services. And each service is a flat rate. If I had a single flat rate for all my services, half my customers would get ripped off, and the other half would get much more than they paid for. I think this is a lot more trustworthy than an ad that says "reasonable rates" and then you call and they say "well we charge xx$/hr." and there's nothing to stop them from charging 6 hours. Maybe I should change my header to "No Hourly Fees"?

ComputerClinic
06-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Here's a couple of different variations of the ad. I changed the text inside the stars so it stands out more. I also did changed the list of services a bit in each so its clearly separate from the stars. Let me know which on you think is better.

http://bozemancc.com/files/YP_variation_1.png
http://bozemancc.com/files/YP_variation_2.png

Cambridge PC Support
06-07-2010, 06:26 PM
2nd one is the best

you don't just do Macs do you?

how about:

"PC Repair" "Free Pickup & Delivery" "Mac Repair"

or "PC & Mac Repairs"

ComputerClinic
06-07-2010, 09:01 PM
you don't just do Macs do you?

Thanks for pointing this out! This is why I ask for opinions.

Really, the service list isn't that important. It doesn't need as much attention as everything else. I made it smaller and gave my logo some more breathing room. I think this is my final version unless anyone has any other suggestions. (BTW, if my ad is positioned as expected, there will be only 1 other ad on the page and it will have a darker background. The rest will be on the next page.)

http://bozemancc.com/files/YP_Final.png

Cambridge PC Support
06-08-2010, 07:43 AM
slap your phone number in the middle of the ad - make it dead easy for people to just dial your number

centralize the hyphens between the black text words