PDA

View Full Version : Will not aquire IP in normal mode. Safe mode works.

mkeathley
06-02-2010, 08:12 PM
I have a computer that will not get an IP in normal mode. It worked fine with it was infected. But after I ran SuperAntiSpyware and malwarebytes it doesn't get a IP now.

Safe mode works. I'm sure this is left over from the infection.

But my question is is there a tool/utility to reset the networking back right?
I've used winsockfix and deleted the network card and reinstalled with new drivers from the ASUS website.

__________________________________________________ _________

I found it!

netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset catolog

__________________________________________________ _________

TechguyUK
06-02-2010, 08:22 PM
Does it connect to the network ok if you set a static IP ?

Bryce W
06-03-2010, 02:16 AM
I have had something similar happen in the past. In my situation, the malware changes the browser proxy to the loopback address. The malware runs a mini server so all traffic going out via the browser comes back through the malware (so it can look for sensitive information I guess).

Internet worked fine while the malware was installed but once I killed it, the net stopped working. The loopback address was still there but the malware-server wasnt to pass the information on. Obviously, once I cleared the loopback proxy everything worked fine.

1101doc
06-03-2010, 03:23 AM
Also seen the problem limited to the user account that was infected. Often a new user account works fine.

vdub12
06-03-2010, 04:37 AM
I have had something similar happen in the past. In my situation, the malware changes the browser proxy to the loopback address. The malware runs a mini server so all traffic going out via the browser comes back through the malware (so it can look for sensitive information I guess).

Internet worked fine while the malware was installed but once I killed it, the net stopped working. The loopback address was still there but the malware-server wasnt to pass the information on. Obviously, once I cleared the loopback proxy everything worked fine.

I have seen that a few times to. Many new fake AV programs do it.

mkeathley
06-03-2010, 06:36 AM
Yes and this one did have that proxy problem as well. I had cleared it before I ran into the problem above. But i have more than one today with that proxy.