PDA

View Full Version : advertising custom computers

ComputerClinic
05-30-2010, 06:15 AM
When I sell custom computers, I set them up with anti-virus, Firefox, WOT, OpenOffice, and other software as well. I also transfer data and setup the computer for free (well, I markup the computer accordingly). I think the fact that they are ready to go is a great selling point.

However, I am unsure if its OK to advertise that they come with anti-virus, and other software. Is it even legal to sell a computer with, say, Malwarebytes already installed? Should I be ambiguous with my advertising and not mention which particular software comes pre-installed? Or would it be best to not mention it at all?

Mushin
05-30-2010, 02:35 PM
When I sell custom computers, I set them up with anti-virus, Firefox, WOT, OpenOffice, and other software as well. I also transfer data and setup the computer for free (well, I markup the computer accordingly). I think the fact that they are ready to go is a great selling point.

However, I am unsure if its OK to advertise that they come with anti-virus, and other software. Is it even legal to sell a computer with, say, Malwarebytes already installed? Should I be ambiguous with my advertising and not mention which particular software comes pre-installed? Or would it be best to not mention it at all?

If you are selling the computer with the full license then I would see no problems but..... most software licenses state that the software is for non-commercial use and is to be installed by the end uses. (Lets not turn this into a license debate) This can put you in a position where these companies could contend that you are making money from selling or installing the FREE for personal use software. It is a fine line....

A better solution would be use this as an opportunity to contact each of the software vendors and express the interest of pre-installing their software on the computers you build. (Norton and McAfee do this with Dell and others) This is a win for each of the software companies because they have the first opportunity to secure the revenue from the purchase of the security software.

One unique aspect of selling customer computers is the fact that you can provided added value with your knowledge and services... Just like what you said about including data trasfer and setup as part of the package. Perhapse you can have several setup / configuration options where one has a trial, and another has the full versions of the security software.

IAMPC
05-30-2010, 04:19 PM
Legally you shouldn't do it but honestly, I don't know if anyone would really come after you for that. They might contact you and ask to stop doing it.

ComputerClinic
05-31-2010, 04:06 AM
A better solution would be use this as an opportunity to contact each of the software vendors and express the interest of pre-installing their software on the computers you build. (Norton and McAfee do this with Dell and others) This is a win for each of the software companies because they have the first opportunity to secure the revenue from the purchase of the security software.

That's a good idea. Once my custom PC sales start to go up I'll contact each vendor and try and work something out. Why should they have a problem with me promoting their product? I made the decision that I won't be selling cheap computers at all. So I have no problem bumping the price up for paid versions of anti-virus and others.

Legally you shouldn't do it but honestly, I don't know if anyone would really come after you for that. They might contact you and ask to stop doing it.

I'll just keep it out of my advertising and I think I should be fine.