PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Screen Very Dim

Kyrus
01-10-2008, 12:29 AM
Hi all,
I have a Toshiba Satellite Laptop, the lcd screen is very dim, you can just about see the logon screen, if i plug an external monitor that works fine.
I did replace the inverter, but that did not help.
I don't have that much experience with laptops.
Any ideas??

gunslinger
01-10-2008, 01:12 AM
Had this problem twice recently. The first time it was the cable that connects the display to the MOBO, caused I think by moving the LCD out of range. Simply plugging it back in solved the problem. The second time it was the LCD going out. Pop of the front strap infront of the LCD behind the keyboard per the instructions and make sure the cable in plugged in securly. Also, and I'm sure you have already done this, check to make sure the brightness is turned up first.

BeyondReality
01-10-2008, 04:24 AM
The backlight on your LCD is bad. You need to replace the LCD. Can get expenive. It is definetly the backlight it has nothing to do with the plugs because the image wouldnt come up at all or it would come up distorted. definetly backlight, expecially if it works on external monitor...

Bryce W
01-10-2008, 11:03 PM
I second that its the LCD backlight that has died.

Simmy
01-11-2008, 12:50 AM
Thirded. I find ebay is the best place for sourcing replacement LCDs at decent prices.

gunslinger
01-11-2008, 04:21 AM
depending on the age of the laptop you might be able to just get the backlight.

Kyrus
01-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks for the replys all, the laptop was purchased in 05, i'll have to start checking ebay.

nonchalant
01-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Yea I saw this problem on a customers new Toshiba recently. When the LCD was 'moved' it would flicker from bright to dull. Warranty job.

ftbendpc
01-25-2008, 09:55 PM
Before you buy an lcd check into the inverter board. This is the device that powers the backlights. The cost of an inverter board is around 70.00 you can also have the backlights replaced by someone but I would not recommend doing it yourself it can be very difficult.