PDA

View Full Version : My Website/Blog

edgepcs
05-27-2010, 02:12 PM
I just want to see what people think of my site. I recently changed it and am now getting a lot more traffic towards it but am not seeing much of an increase in the way of conversion to calls.
Any ideas what I could do to improve it, is it obvious that it is for computer repairs etc.

www.edgepcs.co.uk (http://www.edgepcs.co.uk)

Thanks! :D

Cadishead Computers
05-27-2010, 06:44 PM
3rd time lucky..

I think the site looks awesome, although there are a couple of niggles.. well least for me :)

In recycling, there is a small spelling mistake, you have wase, where the WEEE is.

Occasionally especially in opera, when transferring from one cat to another, a white page comes up, for less than a split second, with what I can only say looks like the contents of the particular page im going to, but all looks like a sitemap kind of thing.

In the remote cat, on clicking for more info on remote work, there is no link saying to the customer, ok, click here and we can start kind of thing.. Not sure if that is intentional or not.

Under tech jargon, you have

Memory or RAM is what the computer uses when it has a file open so that you can edit it without altering the original until you save it, it is also used so that the computer can multitask more easily. The more RAM your computer has the more it is able to do at once and so the machine will be faster whilst doing mor than one thing at a time. Upgrading the RAM is considered to be the cheapest and most effective way to speed up a computer which is beginning to look a little tired.

Sorry for being pedantic here, but should the proper grammar be used here, ie

Memory or RAM is what the computer uses when it has a file open(,) so that you can edit it without altering the original until you save it(.) It is also used ** by the computer in order for it ** to multitask more easily. The more RAM your computer has the more it is able to do at once. ** This will allow the ** machine to be faster whilst doing more than one thing at a time. Upgrading the RAM is considered to be the cheapest and most effective way to speed up a computer which is beginning to look a little tired.

(Apologies, but I have also rephrased it a little)

I personally am not sure about the picture of the ram. I can't quite put my finger on why though..

On keeping your data secure part, would it not be advantageous to tell your customers, where ever they have to enter a password etc, to ensure there is a s after the HTTP, and also a padlock in the bottom right hand corner? Especially when they have to enter banking details, or ebay, amazon etc.

In the article keeping data secure part 2. Again there are grammatical errors. As shown below, in brackets.

Most people dont back up their data thinking that data loss Wont ever happen to me. Unfortunately it does happen(,)and it is recommended to be prepared. The latest versions of Windows -Vista and 7 have excellent built in backup schedulers(,)so if you dont have the time to spend manually copying everything over(.) You can let your computer do it for you at a specific time each day or week. There are other data backup applications available(,) some of which even securely upload your files to the internet(.) Of course these files are not available to anyone except you(.) which is why it is so useful as you can then access your files from anywhere you can connect to the internet. One such example of this is Dropbox, my personal favourite data backup service. You can read more about Dropbox here.

Under the services link, the pictures seem to be a little too large for the space they are occupying. IE, they appear to be missing a little on the left hand side. Could they be resized slightly?

When clicking on one of the pictures, it takes me to what looks like a flash image, where I can only click the x to remove the picture. Should it be doing this?, or should it take me to what ever the pictures informing me about page..

I find the live help offline appearing every few seconds to be a bit much, but thats just my opinion. Could you not, have a seperate part of this, shown where the links are, to say if live help is online or not, together with a similar thing to a traffic light system?, ie red, off line, yellow, working on a customers pc, green, im online, and ready to help?

There is no mention of laptop repairs anywhere on the site. Do you offer this service as a repair?

My apologies, if this is a harsh critic, but I really do love the site, its colourful, all the links work perfectly, and shows me what I want to know.

Apologies, if the grammar is correct, it just appears to be wrong in my eyes.. And apologies again if my grammatical 'errors' are incorrect..

edgepcs
05-27-2010, 10:05 PM
My apologies, if this is a harsh critic, but I really do love the site, its colourful, all the links work perfectly, and shows me what I want to know.

Apologies, if the grammar is correct, it just appears to be wrong in my eyes.. And apologies again if my grammatical 'errors' are incorrect..

No need to apologise, this is the kind of critique that I need, whenever I show it to friends/family I just get "Wow, thats great!" which although nice is not very productive at all. As far as the grammar is concerned you are probably right, I am going to introduce all of these changes over the next few days.

Thanks again Cadishead :D

Cadishead Computers
05-28-2010, 08:58 AM
No problems mate. I'm still working in getting my site up and running.. Truth be told, in the past 6 years ive been self employed, ive not yet had a site!!

I have most of the pages all done, just need to tweak it some, then upload it, and receive some critique ;)

krash2k
05-28-2010, 12:53 PM
+1 from me.

It's easy on the eyes and I really like how your company name and phone number stand out.

My first glance hit your slide show, then the 'Solve your PC Stress' followed by your company name and then back to the slide show.

I do think the slides are a bit fast. I don't have time to read the highlights before it swaps to the next one. However, it may work in your favor seeing as we all usually only get a few seconds to make a killer impression on the net.

The only thing I would personally change is the font color in the articles. Maybe a darker gray? On my laptop screen it is a bit challenging to read.

Good luck, and great site!

edgepcs
06-02-2010, 11:30 AM
Thanks for the feedback Krash, will have to check the colours of the fonts of different screens. Looks fine on my office display but my laptop it can be a little tricky to read at times.

Remote-IT-Guy.com
06-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Your slides seem to be cutting off part of the words. "ree local picku", "Virus emoval" etc..

http://www.remote-it-guy.com/images/error.jpg

edgepcs
06-14-2010, 01:06 PM
I have updated my site now with most of the changes made. Still a couple left to do but I think it looks much better now and reads easier thanks to the feedback.

Thanks guys!