PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation on access points?

dcstek
01-08-2008, 12:20 AM
I am gearing up to put some wireless access points in a new school and would like your recommendation on a good product. I have used the Dlink DWL-2100AP and like the versatility. What do you use.
BTW, PoE is not likely because of the cost.

Thanks

Leztek
01-09-2008, 12:20 AM
I'm partial to Belkin 802.11g Wireless DSL/Cable Gateway Router

I know it's a router/gateway, but you can configure it as an access point only.

I can get it for under 40 dollars...

tartis
01-09-2008, 06:09 PM
I am gearing up to put some wireless access points in a new school and would like your recommendation on a good product. I have used the Dlink DWL-2100AP and like the versatility. What do you use.
BTW, PoE is not likely because of the cost.

Thanks

You had better quote commercial access points, Cisco would come to mind first. Home/Best Buy equipment is not going to handle the amount of users that you will most likely need. The Cisco Aironet 1240 AG is an example of what I am talking about.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps6521/index.html

NETWizz
01-23-2008, 05:34 AM
HP has a good set of ProCurve as well.

POE is sometimes a cheaper solution as some areas do not have power access. There are also external antennas, power injectors, and switch modules and switches that do POE.

Get a load of Access Points that can be managed centrally:

Minimum Security:
WPA-PSK

You may wish to setup WPA-RADIUS, since they likely have Active Directory already.

tartis
01-23-2008, 02:51 PM
POE is sometimes a cheaper solution as some areas do not have power access. There are also external antennas, power injectors, and switch modules and switches that do POE.

Good Point...

greggh
01-23-2008, 04:19 PM
One thing to make sure of is WDS. Make sure the access points work in a mesh mode (which is what WDS does.) It makes the signal strength so much better.

As the others have said PoE is really the way to go and use something better than linksys/d-link/belkin. Go with Cisco or some other business/enterprise class hardware vendor.