PDA

View Full Version : One thing you'd tell a new tech

sburke
01-07-2008, 01:17 AM
So, I'm just starting a tech-repair business run out of my house. I'm 17, and I plan on doing minor to intermediate computer repairs, and other tech type things, like home-theater setup. My question is, if you could tell a person just getting into this business, like myself, one thing to do that would be most helpful, what would it be?

Thanks.

gunslinger
01-07-2008, 03:10 AM
Start out very small and gain experience. Just make it a hobby for a while until you feel comfortable. Thats the most important thing It think.

Fred_G
01-07-2008, 04:04 AM
Bah! It is almost always the physical layer.

Good luck to You!

E

Mac
01-07-2008, 10:36 AM
Logic & reason are my gods. Make them yours ;)

iladelf
01-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Have several different streams of income (tech or not), so that you never have to sit by the phone, wringing your hands waiting for business.

And that's true whether you attend college for this field or not.

Holzster
01-08-2008, 12:07 AM
The Computer Business Kit they sell her is a great way to save a bunch of time creating them yourself

Holzster

dipper
01-08-2008, 10:08 AM
Speak to clients in plain English.

Nathan H
01-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Be honest, Know your limits, try to find a good guy you can turn business to if you can't cope and remember most importantly, the paying customer is paying your wages, which make them your boss, so treat them with the respect they deserve.

ftbendpc
01-15-2008, 04:02 AM
Don't ever get cockey about what you know. I have been doing this for a long time and still learn new "tricks" and methods all the time. I remember when i was 17 and thought i knew a lot about computers. I knew more than most 17 year olds but now that i look back ... hell i didnt know crap. Just remember, if you get stuck there is always google and computer repair forums. Kepp up what you are doing and never stop learning :)

Bryce W
01-16-2008, 02:59 AM
I second what ftbendpc said.

The moment you think you know it all is the moment you stop learning... and the moment you stop learning is the moment you dont know it all. Ive been doing this for 6 years and I even write for this place... but there I still learn alot every day. I gain alot of extra knowlege from these forums.

Holzster
01-21-2008, 12:33 AM
YES - you guys are right - my definition of a good Tech is: a Tech that will admit to saying "I do not know, But I will find out"

Holzster