PDA

View Full Version : A+ Cert

XtremeTekCS
01-06-2008, 11:02 PM
Can someone talk to me about the new A+ cert? What do I need to do to get this done? How difficult is it? Any good books for prep for this exam?

Thanks in advanced

ThirdMCC
01-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Any good books for prep for this exam?

I have always found the "... For Dummies" books to be very helpful. I believe they have one for the A+ exam.

nonchalant
01-11-2008, 07:05 PM
From what Ive heard the A+ is one of the easiest certs to get but its also one of the least valued.

Certainly wouldnt hurt to have it on your resume if your looking for this line of work externally..

I studied for mine quite extensively a few years ago but never got round to sitting the exam.

killergamer
01-12-2008, 07:54 PM
So then what is the best Cert you can get? I have the Upgrading and repairing PC by Que. It says that is a good book to study from. Good luck I also am looking forward to taking it.

nonchalant
01-12-2008, 11:33 PM
I'd go for Cisco (CCNA or CCNP preferably), MCP, MCDST or MCSE.

jamesbhp
01-13-2008, 07:33 AM
A+ Certification is rather easy to study directly from a good book if you have some working experience with computers. The newer exams focus much more on the servicing side then it did with technical areas in the past.

If you are servicing for home users or operating your own business, it doesn't hurt to have A+ and Net+ as some of your certifications. If you are dealing with small business and etc. then get some certification in MS products, ie. server 2003 or SBS. And if you are working higher end enterprise and medium businesses, then MCSE and Cisco certifications are more suited. However if you don't do more than end users and small business, Network+ and A+ should work well in proving your competence level to clients; but more knowledge and more certifications never hurt.

A good book for after obtaining or during A+ studying is "PC Technician Street Smarts: A Real World Guide to CompTIA A+ Skills." Most study books teach you about the topics covered in the A+ exam, this book however shows how the certification and what you have learned applies in the real world. Gives you an idea of the type of work a field A+ technician does, how to perform the tasks, and estimation of time required to perform those job tasks.

focuz
01-15-2008, 12:33 AM
Well in my experiences, yes the exam was one of the easier exams, but you definitely shouldn't underestimate it.

The book I used is Exam Cram practice questions. I choose this book because I already had technician experience and didn't want a very in depth explanation, I just wanted the practice questions to get a feel for the exam.

MMAUY
01-20-2008, 07:16 AM
I am also looking into getting this cert, I went down to barns and nobles today and got me a copy of the "PC tech street smarts" book that jamesbhp recommended, good stuff in that book cant wait to get deep into it. There are so many helpful PC Tech and Network Tech books at barns and nobles.

Anything else other than books I should use to study for the test?

XT18
01-20-2008, 06:33 PM
I am also looking into getting this cert, I went down to barns and nobles today and got me a copy of the "PC tech street smarts" book that jamesbhp recommended, good stuff in that book cant wait to get deep into it. There are so many helpful PC Tech and Network Tech books at barns and nobles.

Anything else other than books I should use to study for the test?

I dont know about the books but you can try this http://www.sadikhov.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=80297 i find it way better then any book and its free for download even though in reality it costs $399 :P http://www.cbtnuggets.com/webapp/product?id=373

killergamer
01-20-2008, 07:08 PM
How are you supposed to download it? It seams like a very nice thing I just dont know how to use it?

XT18
01-20-2008, 07:26 PM
How are you supposed to download it? It seams like a very nice thing I just dont know how to use it?

On top of the first link i posted scroll down on the first post to see the download links, there is 9 rapidshare links(9 parts broken into 50 meg per part) just click them and proceed to download them their 50 megs each, also after you download the first one rapidshare will tell you that you have to wait 60 mins before downloading again so to download all 9 parts took me 2 days but its better then paying 400 dollars(so per every part you download you will need a 60 min brake inbetween). + the cd is excellent i been watching it and its so much better then books since you see everything visually too.

MMAUY
01-20-2008, 11:27 PM
I dont know about the books but you can try this http://www.sadikhov.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=80297 i find it way better then any book and its free for download even though in reality it costs $399 :P http://www.cbtnuggets.com/webapp/product?id=373

That looks sweet so whats the process to use it? Do I download all those rar files? then what do I do after I extract them?

XT18
01-21-2008, 03:59 AM
That looks sweet so whats the process to use it? Do I download all those rar files? then what do I do after I extract them?

after you download all the 9 parts just start extracting the first one with winrar and it will extract a full iso file which then you can mount to a drive or extract again to get the inside files and run it like its files in your cdrom drive.That site has a lot of study material for pretty much every certification, they have alot of video books and simulators on there very good study resource.

racemag
02-07-2008, 03:17 AM
Can someone talk to me about the new A+ cert? What do I need to do to get this done? How difficult is it? Any good books for prep for this exam?

Thanks in advanced

great stuff here.....

cbtnuggets.com
trainsignal.com

nice logo you have bud....

Race

Nathan H
02-07-2008, 01:32 PM
Hi all I have quite a few CD's from CBT Nuggets, Learnkey, Train Signal

PM me for more info

kaspiahn
02-13-2008, 05:35 PM
Forget wasting money on books. You can find plenty of free material online. I highly recommend this site in particular:
proprofs.com

I used this site exclusively, and passed first try. Good luck.:D

hawks5999
02-13-2008, 09:53 PM
everybody has a favorite examcert study guide site it seems. Mine:

http://chinatag.com

They have guides for just about any certification you can ever think of and they are considerably cheaper than most anywhere else. The typical format is a PDF with 100's of questions, answers AND explanations. I used the chinatag for the Project+ exam. Read through all 800 q/a's and explanations twice and took the exam. There is a 3 or 4 hour time limit on the exam (and a lot of people run out of time I hear). I recognized just about every single question and passed in about 40 minutes. Oh, and they are very liberal with their copyright policy so:

Here's A+, MCDST, HP APS and Project+ and PMP

http://www.hawks5999.com/work

enjoy.

kaspiahn
02-14-2008, 01:49 PM
Hawk, I like that site too, lots of PDFs. But no Security + guide. I still prefer ProProfs.com They don't have as many certs, but what they have is very well covered (forums, guides, flash cards, sample exams.....etc). And it's all FREE! Take a look.

thecoldone06
02-21-2008, 03:05 PM
My work is paying for my study and A+ tests. I used the Sybex Complete A+ Study Guide which was very well written. With the accompanying CD, which has flash cards, chapter and practice tests, entire book in PDF, etc. I'm taking the 601 test on the 27th and 602 on the 28th. Wish me luck! :D

My next cert will be Security+. Already have the Sybex book for that one as well.

thecoldone06
02-28-2008, 07:59 PM
Just passed my A+ certification. Definitely feels good to have passed.

gunslinger
02-29-2008, 03:39 AM
Congrats on passing.

Nathan H
02-29-2008, 10:21 PM
Congratulations:)

WireComputers
02-29-2008, 10:23 PM
Congrats. :)

I intend to sit my A+ exams once the current hassle of being made redundant from my day job, and moving house at the same time (!) is over with. :)

thecoldone06
03-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Thanks everyone! Wire, good luck on your tests. If you need anything or have any questions let me know!

dracken
03-20-2008, 03:00 AM
There is a free A+ training podcast on Itunes. Search for Scott Ford.

Pc Fixed Right
03-20-2008, 05:13 AM
There is a free A+ training podcast on Itunes. Search for Scott Ford.

I believe this is the same teacher as on this site
http://www.mrfordsclass.com/ you can get Power Point presentations as well as podcast from there. Enjoy :D

pmcross
10-06-2008, 05:13 PM
I have my A+ and my MCDST studying for my CCNA. I would say that the CCNA is the best, next is the MCDST and then A+, the A+ wasvery easy, it is now based on real world scenarios, the M$ test try to trick you and the Cisco tests are also very difficult.