PDA

View Full Version : Just starting out

Martyn
05-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Hi all

I'm just starting out on my own after being made redundant last year. I have quite a lot of experience with computers having got my first IBM back in 1986 and have tinkered with them ever since. I've been a Systems Consultant for the last 10 incorporating and maintaining software into medium to large corporates. Oddly enough I've had to clue up on Vista and Windows 7 as in the business world most corporates are still running XP. Anyway i'm not very good at websites so I bought the website advertised by Technibble and tweaked it for myself. Have a look and please by all means give constructive comments. I'm waiting :o:D;):p

http://www.hobit.co.uk/

bsd13
05-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Hi all

I'm just starting out on my own after being made redundant last year. I have quite a lot of experience with computers having got my first IBM back in 1986 and have tinkered with them ever since. I've been a Systems Consultant for the last 10 incorporating and maintaining software into medium to large corporates. Oddly enough I've had to clue up on Vista and Windows 7 as in the business world most corporates are still running XP. Anyway i'm not very good at websites so I bought the website advertised by Technibble and tweaked it for myself. Have a look and please by all means give constructive comments. I'm waiting :o:D;):p

http://www.hobit.co.uk/

Took almost 20 seconds to load for me. I'm in the US but even then that's way to long, especially on a cable internet connection.

iptech
05-24-2010, 03:50 PM
"The server at www.hobit.co.uk is taking too long to respond."

Martyn
05-24-2010, 03:52 PM
It's hosted in the US I think. There was a problem earlier, seems ok now.

iptech
05-24-2010, 03:57 PM
123 Reg, I have an email only domain just up for renewal with them, I'll probably move it elsewhere, they don't have a very good reputation these days. I was going to move my web hosted sites over to them until I read customer reviews - they really are quite bad for customer satisfaction.

Graystar
05-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Loaded OK for me.

Are you running an Adwords campaign?
How are you advertising?

Congrats on taking the leap.

Martyn
05-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Loaded OK for me.

Are you running an Adwords campaign?
How are you advertising?

Congrats on taking the leap.

I just started using Adwords yesterday, I'm a bit green on it so I'll let you know how it goes. I'm advertising in a couple of local papers due in a wekk or so. They have a circulation of around 13000. Not sure what else to advertise in yet, I'm still learning.

coalescent
05-24-2010, 05:22 PM
Yeah, very slow for me.

Also, a website that has most of its content as pictures won't get as much exposure. Still, you should have plenty of time to get that worked out. I'd just try and get some local exposure right now.... (fliers, friends and family word-of-mouth, etc.)

NeutronTech
05-24-2010, 05:44 PM
That site took forever to load for me. I didn't think it was actually going to load, but eventually it did. Looks nice. Could use some more information on there.

Martyn
05-24-2010, 05:57 PM
That site took forever to load for me. I didn't think it was actually going to load, but eventually it did. Looks nice. Could use some more information on there.

What sort of information should I put on, prices, services, my background?

krash2k
05-26-2010, 12:42 PM
I really like the name of the business. That should work in your favor.

As far as your page goes I didn't have any problems with slow loads. The page looks good and has all the basic information. One thing I did notice (and it might just be the lack of coffee this morning) is that it looks like everything is in images. Don't quote me here but I think the Big G and others look down on that.

Don't let that hold you back but put it on your to-do list. Right now the most important thing is to get some work. Hit the streets and talk to people. When your pumping gas say hi to the person next too you. Talk about the weather and work your business in the conversation. I find it really easy to do this if the person is in a company vehicle. Easiest line for me is 'Hey, how ya doing?' followed by 'How's business for you guys?'

Enough rambling.. point is you have a great starting page but don't get caught up in making it perfect. You site will change as your business grows. Good luck and welcome to the industry! ;)

Jamie3188
05-26-2010, 12:45 PM
Oh someone near my neck of the woods :)

Are you advertising in the LBO?

How has business treated you recently?

Jamie

Martyn
05-26-2010, 12:50 PM
Oh someone near my neck of the woods :)

Are you advertising in the LBO?

How has business treated you recently?

Jamie

Hi I'm just starting off so nothing as yet. I will be in the LBO and Citizen the week after next. What other places should I advertise in, Yellow Pages, Yell.com?

Jamie3188
05-26-2010, 12:53 PM
I thinks its a bit of Trial and Error... You have to try different things. Its different for everyone.

Are you actually based in Leighton?

J

Martyn
05-26-2010, 12:55 PM
I thinks its a bit of Trial and Error... You have to try different things. Its different for everyone.

Are you actually based in Leighton?

J

Yes I am working from home :)