PDA

View Full Version : Powers Up but No Boot?

NWPhotog
01-04-2008, 08:55 PM
Original issue was computer frooze and then when user attempted to reboot it it powered up but no beeps no display. Power supply output tests fine. If I remove cmos battery and reinsert it I can get through bios boot up but no further. It reports date and time error. I input that and save but computer wont reboot unless I remove cmos battery again. I disconnected all drives and tried one dimm at a time but no luck. Any ideas? Thanks! :)

thecoldone06
01-04-2008, 09:58 PM
The date and time error might be caused by BIOS not keeping its settings when it powers down which would point to a dead battery. You might try replacing that battery, resetting everything to how it should be and see if that helps it.

BeyondReality
01-10-2008, 03:32 AM
sounds like the motherboard. By taking the CMOS out you are killing all electricity including static out of the system. So when you put it back in and turn the system on you are introuding a fresh current through the board. Im not saying its definetly that but I think it is most likely. Expecially if you cant even get the BIOS boot up screen on boot. The only other thing that would cause it not to get to the BIOS screen is the powersupply or the memory. You said the power supply tested fine so try finding some test memory not from your system and test it. Im thinking most likely it is your motherboard. Hope that helps...

gunslinger
01-10-2008, 05:37 AM
I agree, it does sound like the MOBO. But, the battery idea would be the first thing I would try just to rule it out.

NWPhotog
01-11-2008, 04:52 PM
sounds like the motherboard. By taking the CMOS out you are killing all electricity including static out of the system. So when you put it back in and turn the system on you are introuding a fresh current through the board. Im not saying its definetly that but I think it is most likely. Expecially if you cant even get the BIOS boot up screen on boot. The only other thing that would cause it not to get to the BIOS screen is the powersupply or the memory. You said the power supply tested fine so try finding some test memory not from your system and test it. Im thinking most likely it is your motherboard. Hope that helps...

Good ideas. I tried all of em unfortunately. Leaning toward mb but have not swapped it out yet..