PDA

View Full Version : Parking Lot Card Dropping

SThompson86
05-21-2010, 03:13 AM
Hello, me and a friend of mine are planning on this weekend distributing business cards onto cars this weekend by means of placing them under the windshield wipe or the front door window seal.

I am just wondering if any you have any tips for doing this? this will be our first time and doing this type of marketing.

I am not really worried about people getting mad, for this is a common thing that happens any given weekend at walmarts at the malls in our area. The only thing I am concerned about is the placement of the cards. As mentioned I am going to either leave them under windshield wiper or under the front door window seal. I rather do the seal because the driver has to see it when they open their door, but I would hate for some one to call and be like yeaaa your card slipped down into the inside of my door when I rolled the window down. I know thats kinda far fetched, but people are crazy..

But yea, just looking for any advice from people who have done this.

and also if anybody is wondering why we did business cards is because they were financially more feasible and we figure people will hang onto a business card vs a flier of post card hand out.

Thanks in advanced.

JimboK
05-21-2010, 08:08 AM
but I would hate for some one to call and be like yeaaa your card slipped down into the inside of my door when I rolled the window down. I know thats kinda far fetched, but people are crazy.

I guess they got it out if they called you.

Never done this type of marketing but I guess the response rate is similar to leafleting houses. Not very high.

Graystar
05-21-2010, 08:25 AM
Most Mercedes have very tight windows seals and not easy to get a card into. :)
I always make one attempt to slide one in, if it doesn't go then I pass as the last thing I want is some woman freaking out and calling the cops cause I stood at her car door for 10 seconds trying to place an advertisement on it.
keep it moving and fluid and most people will not notice.
I have gone back to these parking lots after it has cleared and it amazes me how many people just throw the cards on the ground. I at least keep them long enough to put inside my trash bag.
I don't care for litterbugs.

SThompson86
05-21-2010, 12:17 PM
Yea, this is just another form of marketing we are wanting to try. We are just taking another stab at another forum of marketing.

Things I have tried:

Newspaper add: Too expensive per week 0 turn over.

Craigslist: Nothing but people wanting a virus removed for minimum wage.

Website: This area we live in does not seem to be a lets look on Google kind of area. The local brick and mortar computer shops here do not even have web sites.

Google Adwords: This kinda goes along with the Website statement about this area. (who clicks sponsored links anyways...) I was bummed out when I realized thats what ad words are because I never pay attention to those sponsored links much less click them.

Radio Add: My grand dad does a radio show every friday on a local FM radio station here, and he gives me some plugs every week which = 0 turn over.

Word of Mouth: of course this has always worked, but my client base is too low to really wait on word of mouth turn over.

So yea, this is another stab at marketing we are going to try.

SThompson86
05-21-2010, 01:37 PM
@ GrayStar - Did you have any luck with card dropping? I have been reading alot about this marketing tactic on other forums I found on a Google Search. I am starting to second guess doing this, for from what I have been reading it brings down the business, and I believe that because I know when it comes to geting crap put on my car I pretty much put about as much concern into it as I do a popup.

But nonetheless, this "core computer solutions" is just a summer experiment over my summer break from school. If it takes off it takes off if it doesn't it doesn't, this is not my career. I am just trying to see what I can do without spending a small fortune to get customers.

Hercomputers
05-21-2010, 02:27 PM
I would love to do this in the parking lot of Best Buy-:) There's one down the street (about 5 miles) from my house off the local highway, h-m-m-m, it's a tempting thought....lol

SThompson86
05-21-2010, 02:30 PM
In an effort to try and do the right thing and avoid any fines. I called one of the cities I planned on card dropping in, and they let me know quick that it was an illegal action.

That only leaves my current city, which I am sure is illegal also.

TheTechWizards
05-21-2010, 03:16 PM
On my Scion xB I put magnet business cards in very obvious areas, I'm always surprised how many people take.

edgepcs
05-21-2010, 04:43 PM
On my Scion xB I put magnet business cards in very obvious areas, I'm always surprised how many people take.

Great idea! I have a friend who owns a sign shop and will see if i can pinch some of his scrap magnets ;)

coalescent
05-21-2010, 04:54 PM
Card dropping and leaflet-placing is a VERY annoying practice.

I immediately write off anyone that does it to my vehicle. I wouldn't recommend using this marketing technique. It suggests to me that you don't have the ability to advertise through conventional (see: non-free) means.

Vicenarian
05-21-2010, 05:58 PM
Or how about getting out your laptop...driving down the block and pinpointing unsecured wireless networks. Then, going to the suspected houses, and explaining to them their situation, what consequences an unsecured network can have, and if they would like you to fix it for X amount of dollars? :D

coalescent
05-21-2010, 06:07 PM
Or how about getting out your laptop...driving down the block and pinpointing unsecured wireless networks. Then, going to the suspected houses, and explaining to them their situation, what consequences an unsecured network can have, and if they would like you to fix it for X amount of dollars? :D

For the record, I'd also probably punch anyone that did this in the face as well. Sounds too close to extortion to be helpful. Most people, I am assuming, would be offended or frightened by this tactic.

Hercomputers
05-21-2010, 06:10 PM
I think by the smiley face added to the end of Vicenrian's comment, I'm pretty sure he was only kidding.

Vicenarian
05-21-2010, 06:39 PM
I think by the smiley face added to the end of Vicenrian's comment, I'm pretty sure he was only kidding.

Actually, I wasn't :D
I wouldn't do it personally though lol

But hey, I mean seriously...it's way cheaper than Geek Squad doing it...And it sure beats identity theft/somebody sucking up their bandwidth...not to mention the possibility of getting arrested for people using your internet for illegal activities.

Puff
05-21-2010, 06:44 PM
Personally, I wouldn't do it because it makes you look cheap and it's annoying. Everyday when I go home there are fliers and business cards on my front door and it pisses me off having to pick up someones cheap advertisement. I didn't buy a house or a car so cheap stooges could use it as a bulletin board to peddle their services.

SThompson86
05-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Card dropping and leaflet-placing is a VERY annoying practice.

I immediately write off anyone that does it to my vehicle. I wouldn't recommend using this marketing technique. It suggests to me that you don't have the ability to advertise through conventional (see: non-free) means.

Yea I called around checking ordinances today and its not allowed in the cities I was planning on hitting up.

SThompson86
05-21-2010, 07:20 PM
I called my city, and it seemed more like an un written law to solicit in that form. I probably would not get introuble in my city.. but I honestly do not feel like taking a chance especially when CCS is just a project and not my bread maker.

Hercomputers
05-21-2010, 07:41 PM
Actually, I wasn't :D
I wouldn't do it personally though lol

But hey, I mean seriously...it's way cheaper than Geek Squad doing it...And it sure beats identity theft/somebody sucking up their bandwidth...not to mention the possibility of getting arrested for people using your internet for illegal activities.

LOL!!! Why in the world would you think of doing something like that?

Seriously though, going to someone's house like that, presenting yourself with your laptop and everything would make one of those neighbors call the police on you and guess who would get arrested?. Not a smart way to try and get new customers.

Uh, think of another way to reach those people, ok?-:)

LOL

Vicenarian
05-21-2010, 09:39 PM
LOL!!! Why in the world would you think of doing something like that?

Seriously though, going to someone's house like that, presenting yourself with your laptop and everything would make one of those neighbors call the police on you and guess who would get arrested?. Not a smart way to try and get new customers.

Uh, think of another way to reach those people, ok?-:)

LOL

or login to their network, and send them a message via the windows messaging service like...

"Your wireless network is unsecured! Potential Identity Theft! Call ###-#### today!"

Hercomputers
05-21-2010, 10:28 PM
LOL...ok, I think I may have to add to my friend list-:)-:)

NeutronTech
05-22-2010, 01:20 AM
I don't mean to hijack this thread but I have a question for Jimbok. Why don't you upgrade memory on laptops? Laptop memory upgrades are just as easy as desktop memory upgrades. Also, why do hardware upgrades cost more than repairs? You say average time is less than two hours. Seems like a 2 hour repair is worth more money than a half hour upgrade. Seems like the services your company offers is quite restricted.

mkeathley
05-22-2010, 05:08 AM
I would love to do this in the parking lot of Best Buy-:) There's one down the street (about 5 miles) from my house off the local highway, h-m-m-m, it's a tempting thought....lol

In my town Best Buy and Staples are right next to each other, they even share a wall.

Several times now while I've run to staples to buy supplies or parts or such people have stopped me because they seen the vinyl on my truck.

I've even sat in my truck a few minutes extra just to give people more of a chance..lol

Unfortunately my company trucks transmission went out a coupel weeks ago, and now I'm driving a generic truck with no signage, and no one stops me now...

Graystar
05-22-2010, 06:32 AM
@ GrayStar - Did you have any luck with card dropping? I have been reading alot about this marketing tactic on other forums I found on a Google Search. I am starting to second guess doing this, for from what I have been reading it brings down the business, and I believe that because I know when it comes to geting crap put on my car I pretty much put about as much concern into it as I do a popup.

But nonetheless, this "core computer solutions" is just a summer experiment over my summer break from school. If it takes off it takes off if it doesn't it doesn't, this is not my career. I am just trying to see what I can do without spending a small fortune to get customers.

I didn't want to discourage you as your mileage may vary, but I never got any calls off the card drops. That is why I still have 3000 of those cards in an unopened box. :rolleyes:

Canadian Tech
05-22-2010, 01:25 PM
I tried putting fliers on cars at the mall and the only thing I got was a call from mall security telling me not to do that again or they would have me charged.

NeutronTech
05-22-2010, 05:09 PM
I tried putting fliers on cars at the mall and the only thing I got was a call from mall security telling me not to do that again or they would have me charged.

lol. I almost choked on my donut.

MTech
05-23-2010, 07:10 PM
Me too :-o. My opinion on this stems from what I believe is the general mentality of this sort of advertising in my area (west coast, vancouver): Most people believe that it's simply trash, and throw it away.
On top of that, littering is fairly strongly punished in my area, and also the fact that almost everyone in my area is of the mindset that they want most of the time to 'find' their advertising, and not have it 'found' for them.

bsd13
05-23-2010, 10:14 PM
In my town Best Buy and Staples are right next to each other, they even share a wall.

Several times now while I've run to staples to buy supplies or parts or such people have stopped me because they seen the vinyl on my truck.

I've even sat in my truck a few minutes extra just to give people more of a chance..lol

Unfortunately my company trucks transmission went out a coupel weeks ago, and now I'm driving a generic truck with no signage, and no one stops me now...

A friend/competitor does this same thing. He parks his truck with the advertising wrap on it about 600 yards away from the best buy and the staples and everyone going to and from those stores sees him. He goes out at 8am with coffee, newspaper, and a notebook (paper not pc). Within an hour to an hour and a half he's got 3 days of work booked. Just goes back every few days when he needs more work.

Since I've moved from the area he works in I'm considering doing it now as well just to test it out and see how it goes.

SThompson86
05-23-2010, 10:16 PM
Yea I scraped this idea after checking with the City Dept Ordinances.

Nonetheless, I did take a test run yesterday evening trying out another tactic. I got some Scotch tape, and about 50 of my business cards and just took out walking through my neighborhood taping my card to the door on mailboxes. I know its a mail box but along with people cramming stuff between the flag and the box it is a common thing to happen around here . I felt better about doing this than randomly slopping cards on cars in parking lots.

SThompson86
05-23-2010, 10:17 PM
A friend/competitor does this same thing. He parks his truck with the advertising wrap on it about 600 yards away from the best buy and the staples and everyone going to and from those stores sees him. He goes out at 8am with coffee, newspaper, and a notebook (paper not pc). Within an hour to an hour and a half he's got 3 days of work booked. Just goes back every few days when he needs more work.

That is awesome! I love that idea mainly because he is scalping customers from the slop squad

Canadian Tech
05-23-2010, 10:37 PM
lol. I almost choked on my donut.

lmao..yeah I almost choked too when he told me that. Needless to say I won't be doing that again.

bsd13
05-23-2010, 11:00 PM

Nonetheless, I did take a test run yesterday evening trying out another tactic. I got some Scotch tape, and about 50 of my business cards and just took out walking through my neighborhood taping my card to the door on mailboxes. I know its a mail box but along with people cramming stuff between the flag and the box it is a common thing to happen around here . I felt better about doing this than randomly slopping cards on cars in parking lots.

It's a federal offense to use the US postal system to deliver "mail" without sending it through properly (ie through the system with postage). Just saying be careful. I know it's common but you can get in trouble. I've been talked to about it

onederlnd
05-26-2010, 12:11 AM
It's a federal offense to use the US postal system to deliver "mail" without sending it through properly (ie through the system with postage). Just saying be careful. I know it's common but you can get in trouble. I've been talked to about itI could be wrong but I believe it's only illegal if you put something inside the mailbox without going through the mail system. Attaching it to the box or anywhere outside of it is not illegal... again, could be wrong.

After looking into it, it does seem to be illegal. You can be heavily fined if the Postmaster gets complaints against you so I wouldn't suggest attaching it anywhere on the mailbox. Apparently the Postal Service controls the entire mailbox, inside and out.

Elemdee
05-26-2010, 12:47 AM
...and from a consumer's point of view, having business cards taped to my box is just as annoying as all the other flyers that get stuffed into the newspaper slot. I just throw it all away.

hardtoremember
05-26-2010, 03:08 AM

BRILLIANT! What a magnificent idea!

BTW I throw away anything that gets put on my car. I just feel like someone is littering on my car!

donte10
05-26-2010, 03:55 AM
I feel your money could be put into better ways of advertising/marketing. If if you have time to spare, try walking around to other businesses and introducing yourself to them. Remember, go to the businesses you would like to service. - Make if fun!

bsd13
05-26-2010, 05:05 AM
I could be wrong but I believe it's only illegal if you put something inside the mailbox without going through the mail system. Attaching it to the box or anywhere outside of it is not illegal... again, could be wrong.

After looking into it, it does seem to be illegal. You can be heavily fined if the Postmaster gets complaints against you so I wouldn't suggest attaching it anywhere on the mailbox. Apparently the Postal Service controls the entire mailbox, inside and out.

Yep. I found out the hard way and specifically asked about attaching it to the outside using a rubber band or string.

bsd13
05-26-2010, 05:05 AM
I feel your money could be put into better ways of advertising/marketing. If if you have time to spare, try walking around to other businesses and introducing yourself to them. Remember, go to the businesses you would like to service. - Make if fun!

+1000 nothing beats building a personal relationship with businesses in your area.

JustMe
05-26-2010, 09:01 AM
I could be wrong but I believe it's only illegal if you put something inside the mailbox without going through the mail system. Attaching it to the box or anywhere outside of it is not illegal... again, could be wrong.

Yup. Wife works for the postal service and if any of the carriers see that on the box and brings them back to the station, you WILL be getting a call from the postmaster. The only people who can legally touch the mailbox is the USPS letter carrier and the home owner of the mailbox.

RegEdit
06-15-2010, 08:15 AM
Newspaper add: Too expensive per week 0 turn over.
0 jobs after 4 weeks of ads for me too.
There were also 5 others advertising computer repair in my local paper too. So I was also competing with 5 others.

SThompson86
06-15-2010, 01:19 PM
There were also 5 others advertising computer repair in my local paper too. So I was also competing with 5 others.

Thats no fun, but atleast you know now.

hardtoremember
06-15-2010, 03:45 PM

Where are you located? Can you offer something that none of the others do? Maybe along with that you can take it out in a full page once?

colonydata
06-19-2010, 05:38 AM

i would not do that, its against the law, they do not even allow census workers to put notice of visit forms on mailboxes.

SThompson86
06-19-2010, 02:36 PM
i would not do that, its against the law, they do not even allow census workers to put notice of visit forms on mailboxes.

lol too late it is done.

donnakamla
06-24-2010, 03:56 AM
What is your message, how are you different than everyone else? Ok what I mean is, begin your marketing plan with the assumption that your competitors offer the same service and charge rates you do. That is, you and your competitors, offer networking, wireless, laptops, computer repairs, whatever. So now that you know what all of you offer, eliminate that from your marketing campaign and instead focus on the two three things you can do - while at the same time letting your potential clients know you also do what everyone else does - as well as your unique selling points.