PDA

View Full Version : Client's computer stuck in reboot cycle

Andyuk2007
01-04-2008, 10:38 AM
Hi There

Today i got a clients computer that is stuck in a reboot cycle and i cant break it, I've tried the usual methods of using chkdsk and fixmbr in the recovery console but its failed to solve the problem. It also wont load into safe mode and to top it all off it has a very very annoying loud cpu fan which sounds to me its the bearings that are going so i might replace that.

the cpu temps are wayy to high for a p4 system as there up to 240C which is high :O

Andyuk2007
01-04-2008, 11:41 AM
any ideas ?

gunslinger
01-04-2008, 12:00 PM
I think the high CPU temps are the problem. Most systems will auto shut down when they get anywhere close to that temp. My heat sink came off once and my core temp only went to 70c. Check to make sure the heat sink is clean an attached properly before doing anything else.

Andyuk2007
01-04-2008, 12:11 PM
I think the high CPU temps are the problem. Most systems will auto shut down when they get anywhere close to that temp. My heat sink came off once and my core temp only went to 70c. Check to make sure the heat sink is clean an attached properly before doing anything else.

well i was at there house the other day setting up a wireless connection and it was working fine then but the problem happened when they shut down the computer just recently, i am going to replace the fan i think ive found 1 thats suitable for a LGA 775 motherboard :)

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/136634

After ive fixed the fan what can i try to get out of this reboot loop as ive tried chkdsk

gunslinger
01-04-2008, 12:28 PM
you can disable the automatic restart behavior by following these steps:

1. Press Windows Key +Pause/Break Key to open the System Properties dialog box or right click My Computer-->Properties.
2. On the Advanced tab, click the Settings button in the Startup And Recovery section.
3. In the System Failure section, uncheck the Automatically Restart check box, and click OK.
4. To enable the changes, click OK in the System Properties dialog box.

This causes the system to halt after encountering a system failure error, which allows you to investigate the problem error in more detail. You'll then have to manually restart the system.

NOTE: You'll have to work quickly to disable the feature before the system reboots. Safe Mode would probably be your best bet.

gunslinger
01-04-2008, 12:30 PM
This fix actually worked for me on one customers PC. I still think its a fan/heatsink issue. The heat sink could have came lose durning transport or the fan may have come unplugged or been damaged in some way.

Andyuk2007
01-04-2008, 12:34 PM
Ahh no i didnt mention that it doesn't even load windows in the first place it comes up with a screen that has serveral options and a 30 second count down.

safe mode
safe mode command prompt

I've tried everything i know to fix this from doing chkdsk and fixmbr

I need to break this cycle but i cant

you can disable the automatic restart behavior by following these steps:

1. Press Windows Key +Pause/Break Key to open the System Properties dialog box or right click My Computer-->Properties.
2. On the Advanced tab, click the Settings button in the Startup And Recovery section.
3. In the System Failure section, uncheck the Automatically Restart check box, and click OK.
4. To enable the changes, click OK in the System Properties dialog box.

This causes the system to halt after encountering a system failure error, which allows you to investigate the problem error in more detail. You'll then have to manually restart the system.

NOTE: You'll have to work quickly to disable the feature before the system reboots. Safe Mode would probably be your best bet.

Blues
01-04-2008, 12:59 PM
I had a PC say it hit 240C but that was a false report and it instantly went back down to normal ideal temp of 40+. Besides 240C is 464F both those are well beyond any CPU threshhold if it truely hit that then its likely cooked and needs to be replaced. If it is saying that then Im more likely to believe A. the CPU is now melted and become one with the mother board or B. the motherboard is dying/dead and reporting bad information. I think a few other possibilities but it certainly think it is a hardware issue.

tartis
01-04-2008, 01:01 PM
Try doing a Windows XP repair using the customers own Windows XP CD. Do not do the repair using the Recovery Console, but the second option for repair. If this works, you will need to re-apply all Microsoft patches and service packs. Here is a link that talks about this. DO NOT FORMAT THE DRIVE.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Andyuk2007
01-04-2008, 04:27 PM
Ive fixed it now, i hooked there hard drive up to my own computer and let vista's own scandisk fix the issues as it wasn't working on the windows xp recovery console :)

All i have to do now is strip it down and give it a good clean out and maybe replace the cpu fan with a new one as the old is very very noisy.

i gotta admit its all clogged up with dust and i did hoover it but its still very noisy, it sounds as though the bearings have gone or are atleast on there way out.

what you recken ?

nonchalant
01-04-2008, 06:42 PM
i gotta admit its all clogged up with dust and i did hoover it but its still very noisy, it sounds as though the bearings have gone or are atleast on there way out.

what you recken ?

Its probably worth replacing considering the cost of a replacement fan. The customer would probably appreciate it.