PDA

View Full Version : How do you hire techs?

keeperofthecode
05-19-2010, 02:08 AM
I currently have 4 employees. They all get the job doen but I really need another me. A tech that doesn't run to the boss when a challenge comes up. My techs are good at basic PC work but don't cut the mustard when it comes to business systems or when something odd or rare comes in. I have tried and tried to get a GOOD tech on the payroll but fail every time. I even have one tech that has the potential but he'd rather spend his days sitting in the office removing viruses. I offered him a good raise to motivate him into stepping up but he said he'd rather not. it seems so strange to me that he wouldn't want to advance. So my questions are....

1. How/Where do you advertise for new techs?
2. How much do you pay your basic techs?
3. How much do you pay your super techs?

I spend my day going business to business and every once in a while I get to swing into the office and work on the problem childs. I love challenging work but I've been doing this for years now and I feel that the only thing restraing my bussiness from growing is the fact that there is only one of me. I know some of you might not want to give out this info which I understand but I guess I'm just grasping for straws.

RogueTech
05-19-2010, 03:28 AM
I think people might be hesitant to state what they pay their technicians or what technicians are making. However I can tell you, that I pay my 'super techs' quite a bit more (let's say >20%) than my basics.

As far as advertising, I would suggest Craigs List, online resources/websites, asking around forums and even the local newspaper. As with any online medium I'm sure you'll get plenty of 'false positives' for tech applications so be weary.

lassenpc
05-19-2010, 06:15 AM
Word of mouth throughout the business community that I'm looking for another 'me' (and it works!)

Basic bench techs $10.25 to start, + PTO and Paid training
Ubber Techs $15-25 DOE, ones that can go out to the other businesses and get the job done. + PTO and Paid training

sgarrand
05-19-2010, 02:34 PM
Word of mouth throughout the business community that I'm looking for another 'me' (and it works!)

Basic bench techs $10.25 to start, + PTO and Paid training
Ubber Techs $15-25 DOE, ones that can go out to the other businesses and get the job done. + PTO and Paid training

Isn't cost of living pretty high in CA? I hear Mickey D's pays $9-$10 an hour out there. It's amazing how low wages have gone. People want degrees and years of experience but pay very little.

Scott

keeperofthecode
05-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Isn't cost of living pretty high in CA? I hear Mickey D's pays $9-$10 an hour out there. It's amazing how low wages have gone. People want degrees and years of experience but pay very little.

Scott

I was thinking same thing. I've been trying to figure what those wages in CA would be in TX. Mickey D's pays 7.25 to 8.00 here. My office assistant makes 7.75 here.

sgarrand
05-19-2010, 03:06 PM
My only issue with paying wages similar to fast food workers is that employers shouldn't expect much more expertise than any other entry level worker being paid the same. With the economy being what it is, supply of workers is greater than demand so employers can ask the world and pay hardly nothing.

I laugh when I see an ad asking for a 4 year degree, 2 years of experience and pay of $10 an hour. Why not just ask them to work for free and demand a doctorate and 10 years of experience? How far can it go?

Scott

edmar
05-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Hire me instead, seriously.

Holzster
05-19-2010, 04:45 PM
I pay more than the other Companies around me but I get the GOOD Tech's that way that stay with me.
I do the below.

1. All Tech's are Temps for 90 days then hire on if they are OK
2. I hire an investigator to do background checks on all employees - the investigators find more stuff than the online services (call me if you need one he can do it remotely, & very reasonable)
3. All employees go through the US HIPAA training
4. All employees sit at the front desk at the shop for at least 3 days so they know how it works & how to talk to the customers.
5. I do not care about degrees or certifications as I interview them & it is all about that!!

I am sure I am missing stuff but...

keeperofthecode
05-19-2010, 05:26 PM
I pay more than the other Companies around me but I get the GOOD Tech's that way that stay with me.
I do the below.

1. All Tech's are Temps for 90 days then hire on if they are OK
2. I hire an investigator to do background checks on all employees - the investigators find more stuff than the online services (call me if you need one he can do it remotely, & very reasonable)
3. All employees go through the US HIPAA training
4. All employees sit at the front desk at the shop for at least 3 days so they know how it works & how to talk to the customers.
5. I do not care about degrees or certifications as I interview them & it is all about that!!

I am sure I am missing stuff but...

I laughed so hard when I saw the name High Tech Redneck. That is crazy funny. I'm in Texas also and I'm jealous I didn't think of it first.

My lowest paid tech is 9.50 and my highest paid tech is salary but it works out to about 15.00. Apparently I'm a tightwod. I would be willing to pay more if I could get more out of them but maybe my expextations are a little high there also. How many systems would you say get fixed on average by each tech in a day. I may have to come up with a goal based system for raises. Thanks everyone for sharing all the good info.

Holzster
05-19-2010, 06:30 PM
For me it is hard to say how many PC's/day as a virus cleaning & a sound card install would be hard to determine & average. During the Temp time I watch what they do during the "down" times. If they sit & watch Youtube or do they clean or try to at least look busy means a lot. The temp time is a BIG deal to me.
The Tech's do have to create at least 2 how to's per month on stuff they do - that way we have a catalog of how-to's for new tech's

keeperofthecode
05-19-2010, 06:36 PM
I remember a day when I used to sit and watch movies while waiting for the next job and that hasn't happened in years. I may have just realized something else, I run too short on staff because the only down time I remember in the past two years is once we finished everyhting on the shelf that wasn't waiting for parts, then an hour later parts came in and we haven't stopped since.

bagellad
05-19-2010, 09:47 PM
I think your wage is fair, I found when I was training one of my contractors if you gave them a choice they would never go on-site, never sell anything extra to a customer, they wouldnt even want to patch windows before returning it to the customer etc.

So hire someone with potential and make them go do stuff. The owner shouldnt be running around all day doing the work, they should be making sure the techs are running around doing the work.

hardtoremember
05-19-2010, 11:24 PM
I think your wage is fair, I found when I was training one of my contractors if you gave them a choice they would never go on-site, never sell anything extra to a customer, they wouldnt even want to patch windows before returning it to the customer etc.

So hire someone with potential and make them go do stuff. The owner shouldnt be running around all day doing the work, they should be making sure the techs are running around doing the work.

To add to that, in my opinion if you have someone working for you who doesn't want to grow with your company or do more than one thing, whether or not they are really good they need to go. You want employees that want to be you. If the good ones have no drive the ones below them won't either and that's a fact.
When you find that employee you do your best to keep them by paying them like you want to keep them. They are very very hard to find.

MasterTech99
05-20-2010, 03:08 PM
Cost of living here is one of the lowest in the country. Someone at McDonalds would start between $6-7/hour. We start techs out at $10/hour for part time which averages about 20,000/year if they worked 40 hours per week. Once they make full-time they'll get between 23,000 and 30,000. Management makes between 35-45,000 per year. We're a regional chain of computer stores which has about 4-5 techs each.

I would say we pay techs about what an Elementary School teacher is going to make. The pay isn't great but it's not bad either. I generally consider a bench tech to be entry level IT and it sure beats sitting on a helpdesk.

Most of the independent techs in the area are independent because we wouldn't hire them. When I hire, I generally have my pick of the good techs because we'll pay more than they can reasonably expect to make working for themselves plus we offer benefits.

We do, however, rarely hire from the big box stores like BB or CompUSA/TD. Generally, we prefer to get techs before they're tainted by them:-) Well, that's not true but you get the idea.