PDA

View Full Version : Content for website

GrandLakeTech
05-18-2010, 02:14 PM
So, I have my company set up, registered a domain, installed drupal, found a theme that I like, now I just need content.

I know what links/services I'm going to provide (Eg. About us, Remote support, Contact us, Small Business Services, ..) but I just can't seem to come up with content for those pages. I look around the forums and click on user's websites and think 'man, that's good' but am unable to come up with anything on my own. :confused:

I'm frustrated already. How did you get started?

Cambridge PC Support
05-18-2010, 04:17 PM
So, I have my company set up, registered a domain, installed drupal, found a theme that I like, now I just need content.

I know what links/services I'm going to provide (Eg. About us, Remote support, Contact us, Small Business Services, ..) but I just can't seem to come up with content for those pages. I look around the forums and click on user's websites and think 'man, that's good' but am unable to come up with anything on my own. :confused:

get the best bita from other websites, then re-word & re-jig - more of your own original content should come to you as you do this

coalescent
05-18-2010, 05:09 PM
What most of the other people said: see what works for your competitors.

HOWEVER, I will suggest that you limit your social media exposure. One thing that really irritates me about most of the sites on TN is that they list facebook and twitter on their sites. Then, when you visit their pages, they are almost EMPTY.

If you are going to leverage social media outlets, fine. But don't do it just because 'everyone else is'. you look like a total n00b when all your twitter posts are "going to work", "eating pizza for lunch", "fixed cd-rom of old lady". Or your fan page consists of "Hey, welcome to XXXXX services fan page" and that's it.

</rant>

edgepcs
05-18-2010, 07:36 PM
What most of the other people said: see what works for your competitors.

HOWEVER, I will suggest that you limit your social media exposure. One thing that really irritates me about most of the sites on TN is that they list facebook and twitter on their sites. Then, when you visit their pages, they are almost EMPTY.

If you are going to leverage social media outlets, fine. But don't do it just because 'everyone else is'. you look like a total n00b when all your twitter posts are "going to work", "eating pizza for lunch", "fixed cd-rom of old lady". Or your fan page consists of "Hey, welcome to XXXXX services fan page" and that's it.

</rant>

lol. I was so guilty of this up until recently. My Facebook page was just a welcome page and my Twitter just listed my recent blog posts. I have now deleted the Facebook page (alongside my personal one) and have begun putting a lot more work into my Twitter. Posting things like progress on tasks (but not uninteresting ones like eating a sandwich) and am retweeting stuff of potential interest to my clients.

Hercomputers
05-18-2010, 07:47 PM

Get a pad and pen and jot down what all Cambridge PC Support is all about.
1. Who makes up CPS? (I think I just came up with your nickname....I'm good at doing that-:)
2. How long has CPS been around?
3. What type of service(s) can CPS can provide?

You get the idea-:)

My website actually came before my computer repair business. I love computers and I love to write so for me, but I had write everything out first on paper and I recommend you to do that.

Just pretend that you're introducing yourself to someone and in this, professionally speaking and just take it from there.

GrandLakeTech
05-18-2010, 10:49 PM
LOL.. "fixed cd-rom of old lady"

I already planned on staying clear of facebook and other social media outlets.

Get a pad and pen and jot down what all Cambridge PC Support is all about.
1. Who makes up CPS? (I think I just came up with your nickname....I'm good at doing that-:)
2. How long has CPS been around?
3. What type of service(s) can CPS can provide?

You get the idea-:)

My website actually came before my computer repair business. I love computers and I love to write so for me, but I had write everything out first on paper and I recommend you to do that.

Just pretend that you're introducing yourself to someone and in this, professionally speaking and just take it from there.

Excellent idea, thank you.

rightontimecomputers
06-06-2010, 11:09 PM
I don't think nothing is wrong with social media. I get most of my customers from facebook and twitter, but just remain professional when you use them sites. Now if you don't use facebook or twitter don't promote it.

coalescent
06-07-2010, 04:19 AM
I don't think nothing is wrong with social media. I get most of my customers from facebook and twitter, but just remain professional when you use them sites. Now if you don't use facebook or twitter don't promote it.

Exactly.

If its a tool you actually use, great. It can be a wonderful place to get new business. However, if you use it because you see everyone else using it, you are probably doing it wrong.