PDA

View Full Version : TimeSaver Application.

PcTek9
05-18-2010, 04:48 AM
I am currently writing a gui app for windows to backup:

single & multi users (if admin rights exist, auto detected)

on xp, vista, & 7

I am thinking of making a gui app for linux that does the same thing, as the app I am making in windows. Personally, I feel linux has gotten to an area, where people are using it more, and I know from my personal experience that I would like to back up my directory without backing up everything in their on linux.

There is a thread in the scripting forum about this application for windows. I think it would be a great and needed resource for new users to linux, b/c it would allow them to backup just the things they want - like their email, or their cookies, or files, or music, by selecting a button.

There used to be a time when the average linux user knew how to use the console to do many things with linux, certainly file copy and could back up the entire home dir or selected parts of it, including the hidden user profiles and etc.

But ... I've gone into some of the "new" flavor linux rooms lately and have seen many new linux users who are using linux, much like windows people have always used windows. Without a lot of expertise, and that's a great thing. It shows people are learning and linux has evolved.

So what do you guys think, I was talking to one of the mint people the other day, b/c I want to do this for mint first, and ubuntu, then maybe port the package to redhat, debian, slack, etc.

Methical
05-18-2010, 04:53 AM
How bout you get your Windows version down-packed before supporting other O/S's ?

I'm loving my Mint at the moment, have have you to thank for the recommendation. If I wasn't writing a batch file for windows; I'd uninstall Vista in a heartbeat.

PcTek9
05-18-2010, 05:03 AM
O hey Methical, I just posted a new version of it for downloading. :)

n4cer
05-18-2010, 02:15 PM
Sounds great. I run ubuntu on a machine in my shop. More and more people that see it running in the shop want to try it. Linux is a up and coming OS.