PDA

View Full Version : DVD-RW only reads disks in safe mode

mastrog
12-31-2007, 12:35 AM
Hello all,

Just wondering if you have any thoughts on the following:

We have a client that has Windows XP SP2/ Nero.
She started having problems with the DVD-RW not reading disks.
She was able to burn files to it using Nero, but when you tried browsing the disk, eg: via Windows Explorer, it doesn't show the disk contents?
We have tried replacing the drive, and the same problem occurs with a brand new drive.
Went into safe mode, and the drive was ok - we were able to read disks.

Anyone has encountered this problem before?
I've been googling, and found that this might be related to the ASPI layer...
So I might try to uninstall Nero, and see if the disks are read. Then reinstall Nero...Last resort would be to reinstall Windows XP...

Thanks and Happy New Year!

gunslinger
12-31-2007, 02:35 AM
Funny thing, I just updated windows and now my system wont read DVD RW disks. This has got to be an update issue because I'm not running Nero.

NWPhotog
12-31-2007, 05:29 AM
Hello all,

Just wondering if you have any thoughts on the following:

We have a client that has Windows XP SP2/ Nero.
She started having problems with the DVD-RW not reading disks.
She was able to burn files to it using Nero, but when you tried browsing the disk, eg: via Windows Explorer, it doesn't show the disk contents?
We have tried replacing the drive, and the same problem occurs with a brand new drive.
Went into safe mode, and the drive was ok - we were able to read disks.

Anyone has encountered this problem before?
I've been googling, and found that this might be related to the ASPI layer...
So I might try to uninstall Nero, and see if the disks are read. Then reinstall Nero...Last resort would be to reinstall Windows XP...

Thanks and Happy New Year!

Sis you check the upper/lower filter issue off the MS web site?

ThirdMCC
01-01-2008, 12:12 AM
Sounds like its going to be an upperfilter/lowerfilter issue to me.

Open the Registry Editor (Start>Run and type "regedit" in the Run dialog box).

Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Contro l\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

Once you have opened the last folder, there should be two keys on the right hand side ("Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters"). Right click both of them, and delete them. Close the Registry Editor, and reboot the computer.

Retry the DVD, see if it plays now. If it does, problem solved. If not, try a regular movie DVD, see if that works. Also try CDs, both storebought music and customer data.

gunslinger
01-01-2008, 12:35 AM
Trying it now.

Update:I tried the fix you recommended. Now I get any disk corruption error.
I also tried rolling back the kids computer to a restore point created in August. I get the same corruption error.

mastrog
01-02-2008, 05:43 AM
Thanks guys for these hints...I will check the upper/lower filters and let you know how we go.

mastrog
01-06-2008, 10:48 PM
Removed registry entries ("Upperfilters" and "Lowerfilters"), as suggested by ThirdMCC, however it didn't seem to make a difference. Created another profile, and all disks appeared to play ok, except for one. The disk crashed Windows a couple of times.
This 'faulty' disk was burned in the original profile, where the problem started to occur.
So a combination of these two solutions appeared to work:

(a) Remove the registry keys
(b) create a new profile with Admin rights

Cheers.

mastrog
01-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Went back to see customer yesterday to finish the job, and we were back to square one.
DVDs would play ok within a player (ie: Nero), however nothing was showing up in Windows Explorer. Comp Management would show the disk usage ok, however Windows XP Home would not autorun or display the content.

I'll carry out a Windows repair on the weekend, and that will hopefully resolve the issue. Keep you posted.

mastrog
01-14-2008, 04:09 AM
Repairing Windows didn't help, and the problem manifested itself again.
Full reinstallation was necessaring (ie: formatting)..

gunslinger
01-14-2008, 05:14 AM
Thats what I was afraid of. I wish I knew what caused this problem in the first place.