PDA

View Full Version : Windows License Question

markiezzi
12-30-2007, 05:20 AM
Hello,

Now that the holidays have passed and lots of people got new computers I have been finding a lot of towers in the trash. I have gutted a few and took out some good parts. My question is this:

If you find a computer in the trash and upgrade it with more memory or video card or if you take the hard drive and put it into another tower can you resell the computer with windows 98 or Me on the drive? It already had it on the drive when I got it.

would it be legal to do since 98 and me are not supported? And originally the computer I got it from had 98 or Me installed on it.

Any help would be great

thanks
Mark

NWPhotog
12-30-2007, 06:42 AM
The only way you can sell it with any version of Windows is if it has a MS COA on the side of the case. The other option is to install Linux. :)

gunslinger
12-30-2007, 03:35 PM
I would have to agree, as much as I don't like Linux. If its Ubuntu vs. Windows 98 go with Ubuntu. Your best option depending on the system specs might be to just come up with a little cash and go XP SP2.

MrMille
12-30-2007, 10:55 PM
Hello,

Now that the holidays have passed and lots of people got new computers I have been finding a lot of towers in the trash. I have gutted a few and took out some good parts. My question is this:

If you find a computer in the trash and upgrade it with more memory or video card or if you take the hard drive and put it into another tower can you resell the computer with windows 98 or Me on the drive? It already had it on the drive when I got it.

would it be legal to do since 98 and me are not supported? And originally the computer I got it from had 98 or Me installed on it.

Any help would be great

thanks
Mark

I think it's illegal as OEM licenses live and die with the machine. Could be wrong.

Selling unsupported software isn't illegal, caveat emptor.

Holzster
12-31-2007, 12:52 AM
If it had 98 on it t was an older machine - so use XUbuntu it is Ubuntu with the XFCE desktop - will make the machine faster then when it was new!!

And I think you are correct once Windows OEM software has been sold it can not be sold again the license is dead. Now you can give it away as long it is the same original machine (if I read the license correct).

Holzster