PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista Security Center

Brandon
12-28-2007, 06:52 PM
I did a restore on a Dell laptop with Vista. Uninstalled all the garbage they include with a new computer. Installed AVG and went into the security center to check all the settings. It is showing "Windows Firewall and McAfee Personal Firewall both report that they are turned on."

On the Malware Protection section it is showing that "Multiple antivirus programs report that they are turned on and up to date."

My question is why is McAfee showing up in the security center when it is uninstalled? Is this causing a conflict?

Blues
12-28-2007, 08:38 PM
How did you uninstall it as both McAfee and Norton do not truely uninstall when you run the uninistall. They are like weeds you have to dig down to thier roots and tear them up with brute force. Though Norton does have a utility to remove its program they still are a bitch to work with.

Brandon
12-28-2007, 09:24 PM
I used the McAfee Removal Tool from http://www.majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

What steps should I use after using this?

gunslinger
12-28-2007, 10:04 PM
I would also clean the registry in safe mode if you can using a good registry cleaner.

Holzster
12-31-2007, 01:11 AM
I used to work for Network Associates (Mcafee) I know you can do a key word search for "mcafee" in the registry & remove those entries - like always - do a BU of the registry first

Holzster