PDA

View Full Version : External laptop drive on an adapter

MrMille
12-28-2007, 01:04 PM
I tried to install windows to a laptop drive connected to my computer via an adapter, but instead of the OS being installed to the external drive, my boot loader was modified, so now I have two entries. How come?

If I have a drive connected to my desktop, and plug a laptop drive into my desktop and tell the installer to install to the laptop drive, how to I ensure my desktop isn't modifed in anyway?

Blues
12-28-2007, 01:20 PM
That won't work for multiple reasons first one being that Windows always modifies the boot loader of the machine its being installed on. The additional reasons covered somewhere on this forum I believe is that Windows won't end up with the drivers for the laptop so the install wouldn't work on the intended hardware.

gunslinger
12-28-2007, 03:23 PM
What you are trying to do is is similar to what another member tried a while back. He took the customers hard drive home with him and installed windows on it from his machine, then took it back to the customer only to have it do nothing in their system. Windows is a proprietary installation.

MrMille
12-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Thanks for that guys.

So.... I dl'ed and installed Ubuntu on the 5160. Ran into a few problems but it's running now.

So.....I know nothing about Ubuntu,
1/ How do I change the screen resolution without the machine going mental?
I know how to change the resolution, when I changed from 1024x to 800x, the driver **** the bed, and the screen went white, then started to fade gray at the edge like it'd been dropped on it's head. Windows changes the display, and then presents a dialog, which if the users can't read, won't click "yes I can see everything perfectly thank you very much"

2/ When I maximise a window, the top right hand corner window controls are off scree, so it looks like Ubuntu thinks it's got more real estate that the Dell LCD actually has.

gunslinger
12-28-2007, 09:08 PM
Welcome to the wonderful world of Linux.
Try this site http://www.ubuntugeek.com/

edwinroy2000
01-16-2008, 05:16 PM
I GOT AN aspire 5610z or had one after my x got done with it she looked it up so i down load xp now how do i get sound?

MrMille
01-16-2008, 05:40 PM
You should start a new thread, and improve your grammar.:D