PDA

View Full Version : Critique Me?

rhinetech
05-12-2010, 04:02 AM
I'm trying to get a feel about my site... is it good?
What would you change?

Any and all observations are appreciated!

Cant post URLs yet, but link is in my signature.

RhineTech dot com

ProTech Support
05-12-2010, 04:33 PM
The site is clean, just a bit bland. Would spice it up a bit with some color.

On a side note, resize your images before you upload them. You have massive images uploaded that are scaled down (so it still loads the massive image), and it takes forever for them to load.

SThompson86
05-12-2010, 05:14 PM
does having all those business directories work like you have on this page? http://www.rhinetech.com/Testimonials.html

coalescent
05-18-2010, 06:01 PM
There is a lot of text on the site, I didn't bother to read most of it.

Having looked at a lot of people's sites, I think all too often people put anything and everything as a service they provide.

Honestly, I think putting the big ones (virus/spyware removal, upgrades, custom system builds, home networking) is enough. You don't need to list every little thing you do.

Having a blog with informative posts is always nice, liked seeing that on the site as well as your accreditation.

NYJimbo
05-18-2010, 06:15 PM
Critique you, ok...... :p

I dont like it. The "splash" or home page feels like a "latest news" page. However you have it date-ascending which puts up a first date of "May 5,2009" is that a mistake or is it supposed to be like that.

Upon arriving I feel like I have not hit the home page and go looking for it.

The testimonials page wants to load a VLC program (at least on my machine) and it says that it's not verified, very bad to do this to potential clients.

"facebook", "blog", "remote" all launch new browsers on IE without warning which means I have two browsers loaded and have to close them after use to get back to your page.

Colors are too bland, nothing really stands out.

If you really think a picture of you next to your car is important then make it more professional. Put on a collared shirt, with a simple tie. Maybe have your toolbags and stuff on the floor next to you or arrainged in a way so they see you, your tools and a better view of the sign on the car door.

Good luck.

All Systems Go
05-19-2010, 10:15 PM
I have to agree with NYCJimbo; have your links open within the same page rather than open a new one.

The Remote tab should bring you to a new page (without opening new one) having the file popup could be startling to an end user (could it be a virus...? they don't know).
I would also explain a little about how remote support works; letting them know what to expect, maybe show screenshots along with some instructions.

Just a thought ....;)

cmonova
05-19-2010, 10:24 PM
I'm assuming you are "RhineTech Computer Repair" so why on the "About us" page is it all:
Steve started
Mr. Rhinesmith
He worked
He makes

Why now "I" or something like that. Looks kind of wierd to me having it that way. If you had
a few employees and put information about them that way then it would make more sense.

hardtoremember
05-19-2010, 11:42 PM
It is extraordinarily plain. I don't feel like I am on a businesses website at all.
Too much info... Way way too much. You want people to call you so you can speak to them.
I also don't care for the picture of you with your car. As NYJimbo said, you should put on a collared shirt and tie or at least a tucked in Polo shirt.

Maybe go to some of the tech's sites from the forum to get some idea's to spice it up. There are some outstanding websites in this community.

kagman
05-20-2010, 02:53 AM
You need to spice it up .. Make it look more tech like. To me its not a site where one can get computer help just by looking at it. Look at other peoples site and go from there to get some good ideas for your site.

rhinetech
05-20-2010, 04:50 AM
Rework pushed through... the only thing I worry about is not being heavily keyword/content rich for SEO...

I do agree that there was a lack of flair/images and way too much text jumbled together. I have worked on that. Also the links have been adjusted to not open up to 4 new windows/tabs while you're on my site... and have just added an obvious link back to the site at the respective pages.

The image re-size issue has been resolved... just a duh on my part... and I will take a more professional photo, closer up, with my toolkit the next day it isn't crummy outside. I have since received a "uniform" printer shirt that looks OK. I like this idea, and feel seeing the wording on my signage/shirt will help.

Some business directories have worked for me, one major one is the first image "computer repair directory"... I've gotten 5 clients over 2 months just from this free listing.

I've felt that a latest news on the home page helps show clients that the business is current (there are a LOT of closed computer repair companies in my area). A more 'computery' feel is more important in hindsight. Unfortunately I'm restricted to crummy stock photos so I've worked to find some good ones for the home page.

The testimonials page wants to load a VLC program (at least on my machine) and it says that it's not verified, very bad to do this to potential clients.

It is odd that the testimonials page gave you this (the old remote link was for this)... but I agree with you and "all systems go" that a direct link on the top makes it feel more cluttered and can confuse and scare potential clients... so that has been reworked. Unfortunately I don't have experience with signing my executable... so it is a choice to do it this way or un-personalize the file and run without the logo. If anyone has any instructions/recommendations about how to fix this I'm all ears... I'm not sure exactly what it is I even need to sign it (SSL?).

I still need to rework my about us page to make it flow better, probably once I have the image taken to work with it.

I'm still open to comments... I'm obviously no professional web developer, and want to thank everybody above for their undoubtedly valuable insight.