PDA

View Full Version : slow system- no virus or spyware

dicklaw18
12-25-2007, 05:45 PM
hello everyone im having a problem on a friends computer. its running very slow and takes 5 to 10 mins to open any programs or anything. the cpu is never more than 5% and there is plenty of memory availible. anyone have any sugestions? I was thinking it would possible be faulty hardware but I wasn't sure. any helo is greatly appreciated.

vr6rafal
12-25-2007, 07:58 PM
I had a client with the similar problem and it ended up being a failing hard drive.

gunslinger
12-25-2007, 09:00 PM
What are the computers specs? RAM, CPU, ect. How many things are running in the background? How much hard drive space is free? All of these things can effect the speed. The first thing I would do is scan for junk files clogging up the works, Ccleaner seems to work well for this. Next I would check for spyware/malware/adware/viruses. Mcafee stinger, spybot S&D , and ad-aware work well for this. Have you tried doing a defrag? After all this I might think the hard drive is failing.

ataylor
12-26-2007, 12:49 PM
I've had that problem many times before. Generally, if files/programs are taking that long to load then the hard drive is having problems. Listening to the hard drive is usually advisable; if its just going "click...click...click" instead of the usual rapid succession of noises then its a hardware issue.

nonchalant
12-26-2007, 06:43 PM
How can you be sure you dont have a virus or spyware problem seeing as no AV has a 100% detection rate?

mityay
12-26-2007, 08:48 PM
I would check the cpu temperature. You can use program called CoreTemp advertised here on Techniblle. Here's a link: www Technibble.com/repair-tool-of-the-week-coretemp/
If temperature is too high then failed cpu fan is probably to blame.

ataylor
12-27-2007, 12:45 AM
How can you be sure you dont have a virus or spyware problem seeing as no AV has a 100% detection rate?

Run two AV scanners. Usually I would use NOD32 and then ClamWin. In the case of Spyware, Ad-Aware and Spybot.

gunslinger
12-27-2007, 02:24 AM
You can run two antivirus programs but never install more than one, if you do it can cause a conflict not to mention slowing your system even more. I agree with running the Ad-Aware and Spybot. But, do this from your flash drive, don't install them if you don't have to. I run AVG and once a week do a Ad-Aware and Spybot scan, and I almost never get infected. If AVG does pick up something even if it says it deleted it, I'll also run Mcafee stinger and the Ad-Aware and Spybot just to be sure its gone.

nonchalant
12-27-2007, 03:43 AM
Run two AV scanners. Usually I would use NOD32 and then ClamWin. In the case of Spyware, Ad-Aware and Spybot.

You didnt happen to install the latest version of Adaware did you? Only, I installed that on a PC the other day and Im still not sure if that was the problem but I had to format afterwards the PC was that slow (even after uninstalling Adaware).

ataylor
12-27-2007, 04:28 AM
You can run two antivirus programs but never install more than one, if you do it can cause a conflict not to mention slowing your system even more. I agree with running the Ad-Aware and Spybot. But, do this from your flash drive, don't install them if you don't have to. I run AVG and once a week do a Ad-Aware and Spybot scan, and I almost never get infected. If AVG does pick up something even if it says it deleted it, I'll also run Mcafee stinger and the Ad-Aware and Spybot just to be sure its gone.

You can install more than one, as long as one of them isn't running an on-access scanner. ClamWin does not have an on-access scanner built in, so its safe to install alongside other programs.

gunslinger
12-27-2007, 05:05 AM
Did some research and you are right, but I still try to keep installed programs to a minimum. Why install a program that you could run off a USB stick?

MrMille
12-27-2007, 09:37 AM
is there a list of programs that run of a usb memory stick?

Kyrus
12-27-2007, 03:35 PM
is there a list of programs that run of a usb memory stick?

I know alot of people like to use BootZilla, most of the programs can be run from a usb flash drive.
Check it out at bootzilla.org

gunslinger
12-27-2007, 03:40 PM
Hrere are some screen shots of my small mobile kit.

http://i9.tinypic.com/681xw10.jpg , http://i17.tinypic.com/6g3mes2.jpg ;)

I used a program called pstart and made some of the programs portable by using thinstall. Bryce picked up on this and started offering a mobile kit on technibble. here are the links.

http://www.pegtop.net/start/
http://www.thinstall.com/
http://www.technibble.com/computer-repair-utility-kit/

Although his kit is a lot smaller than mine there is still lots of good stuff in it. If you want anymore info on making apps portable or automating things just let me know.

Blues
12-27-2007, 06:09 PM
I see you have IE History View in yours thats a nice tool for spying on the kids as long as they aren't smart enough to clean thier tracks.

gunslinger
12-28-2007, 12:18 AM
I see you have IE History View in yours thats a nice tool for spying on the kids as long as they aren't smart enough to clean thier tracks.

For that I use a program called perfect keylogger and password protect it. It logs all keys plus takes screen shots at pre set times. I have mine set to take a screen shot every 5 mins. That plus checking cell phone records every week works wonders with the teens. ;)