PDA

View Full Version : Bad...bad Mobo!

Tech01
12-23-2007, 03:15 AM
Bad….. bad…… Motherboard!
Here is the situation; I put together a P4 system complete with removable drive bays. (I am trying to build a small server). I get the thing together and run an extensive hardware test using HD Fitness, Spinrite and a few other benchmark/test utilities. Everything checks out fine until I go for the OS load. I try to install Small Business Server 2003 and I get a nice blue screen with a generic stop code. I try different Ram, remove all other cards out of the PCI slots; double check all BIOS setting so on and so forth. I finally get to looking at the board and notice that some of the capacitors are starting to bulge out at the top.
Moral of the story is, be sure to do a good visual inspection of the motherboard prior to OS load.
It could save you a few hours of trouble shooting.

GraemeP
12-23-2007, 11:45 AM
I have an old junk machine that have 60% of the larger caps leaking, still works with XP go figure. and its an old jetway board, what brand board is yours ?

Tech01
12-26-2007, 03:08 AM
P4XFCU VIA Chipset, nice board just wont take any OS install. I did however replace it with a Atholon XP 2500 MSI mobo, and now everything works great.