PDA

View Full Version : Switch from CRT to LCD isn't working, "input not supported"

JoshG
12-19-2007, 05:19 AM
I'm having a problem trying to upgrade from a CRT monitor to a LCD monitor. The usual boot process occurs properly however once XP begins the LCD screen goes black except for the message "input not supported". I can access the BIOS settings but cannot get to windows safe mode.

Worse yet in attempting to reconnect the CRT monitor something shorted out damaging both the CRT and video board. I removed the video board and reset the BIOS to utilize the onboard graphics and now once again the bootup process is visible with the LCD monitor until XP starts.

I'm pretty much stuck here without a CRT to go back to and unable to access windows safe mode to make any display setting changes. I'm a student with a very limited budget... any suggestions?

system: HP Pavilion a817n
monitor: Envision 7100s

Stu
12-19-2007, 07:10 AM
I get this problem a lot when connecting client's machines to my personal LCD. However, unlike you, I can usually boot into safe mode where I remove the graphics drivers.

I believe the problem stems from the graphic settings being at a resolution your LCD doesn't like. Changing the resolution in safe mode never seems to make a drifference, which is why I uninstall.

It is possible your onboard graphics were previously set at a disagreeable resolution too.

If I were in your shoes I'd get hold of a really old graphics card (I have tons lying around) of a brand that's never been in the your machine before, connect it all up, change BIOS back to AGP or PCI graphics, and boot as normal. See how you get on. All being well you'll get into Windows and be able to remove all graphics drivers before trying again with onboard.

Failing all this, you might want to consider an in-place repair install of Windows just in case something got corrupted.

tkrabec
12-19-2007, 03:21 PM
Hook up the CRT, change the resolutiion to something like 800x600x256, then hookup the LCD and choose the good resolution with that.

Stu
12-19-2007, 04:10 PM
Hook up the CRT, change the resolutiion to something like 800x600x256, then hookup the LCD and choose the good resolution with that.

I do believe Josh said he's damaged the CRT.

JoshG
12-19-2007, 10:14 PM
Thanks for the replies. I was able to get into windows and change the resolution. I had to system restore it and windows automatically updated it for me. Thanks again for the help!